D drive not appearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeWizKev826

Hi, before this problem happened, I was fixing another error I had with booting up.

Ever since I tried to install a new version of Norton Systemworks with GoBack and turn on my computer, an error would come up saying that
"autochk program not found, skipping autochk".
After that my computer would restart and repeat the same process in a never ending cycle.
I then stumbled upon a solution in which I use PTEdit to change the partition types because my hard drive was being hidden.

I used PTEdit from a boot disk to change the partition type of my drive because apparently it was being hidden and thus, autochk couldn't be found.

I have two drives, a C drive and a D drive.
I had to change both drives to type x07(a bootable type) because if i only changed the c drive to the proper type, i would still receive the error.

Now that I was able to boot up properly, my d drive has disappeared. All programs and files relating to it are gone and no longer useable.

Also, another note, I installer my norton program to my d drive, as well as norton goback. I've read that norton go back can change your partition types, but i can't even uninstall the program because its not shown, as its in the d drive. As I can figure so far, my d drive is being hidden, but i'm not sure how as i changed its type to a type that can be seen.

Help is much appreciated, thanks.

Change the hidden drive to 05 using Ptedit
I used that program a long time ago, and fixed this issue by 05 not 07

well i've just seem to come to another problem,

I changed the supposed hidden D drive to the 05 type and upon reboot, i get this error.
Windows could not start because the following is missing or corrupt: <windows root> (Y symbol that looks like yen) system (same symbol)hal.dll
please re-install a copy of the above file.

I could be doing something wrong, so here is what the Partition table editor looks like:

Type
1 07
2 05 <----what i believed to be was the hidden d drive.

I 'm not sure what to do next..

types 05 and 0F are both extended volume ID's.
type 0F is NTFS ID.
type 12 is Compaq Setup ID.

07 and 05 should work

You may need to do a Windows repair on 07

I believed i've tried many combinations of partition types but nearly every single one except the combination of c drive as file type 07 and d drive as file type 07 work. With of course the d drive being hidden.

However, when i try other combinations of types, i would always get this error.

<Windows root> YsystemYhal.dll (the Y's are the yen symbol).

Should i go about fixing this problem first before doing anything else? If not, how should I go about instituting the windows repair on 07? Oh and thanks for the help so far kimsland.

I don't believe I think so.. because here is one problem. I originally installed NortonSystem Works with GoBack in the D drive. I tried to uninstall Norton systemworks and go back because i had a newer version. When I tried to uninstall it, the original problem of autochk not found happened.

Now whenever I restart my computer, a nice and colorful screen that says (Norton go back) appears saying its protecting my computer. Its funny because, I wonder alot how that is able to show up, when my computer is not even detecting my d drive. I have no trace that I can see of Norton in the program files.

That is one mighty helpful step by step guide, but I do have one question before I proceed with this. This repair install does leave the data in both of my hard drives to be intact right?
It would be fine if it just fixes Windows Xp system related items, but does the process also delete sentimental items like movies or pictures and documents as well?

inconceivable, I used a program called ophcrack, to find my Administrative password to use the recovery console to attempt to use chkdsk /r, /f, /p.

I used the program and it says i don't have any passwords. This is very frustrating.. haha.

ophcrack (boot cd) recovers your user passwords, if you don't have any user logon passwords then it won't find any.
Mind you, the scan process can take up to a half hour, you should notice a percentage indicator.

As for the Repair option, no it won't remove any data

Alright, thanks very much for all the help you've given kimsland, i'll try the repair option now. It seems to be the only option I have at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back