D-Link wireless USB key woes with Windows Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a D-Link DWL-G132 wireless USB key.

The drivers installed just fine and configuring it to connect to my router using WPA was not too painful. It reports a signal strength of 98% and says it is connected. The router agrees with this and lists it in its connected devices list.

ipconfig shows that the PC has received an IP address and the correct subnet mask and default gateway.

However - that's it. I can't connect to the internet, or even ping the router. All packets are reported as lost.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

My laptop (XP Home) - different hardware connects just fine to the same router. So, I'm assuming the problem is not the router. This machine was previously connected to the same router via a cable. - which worked.

Did the computer receive the correct IP from the local range configured on the router?

Do you have any software firewalls? Disable these.
Maybe try Winsock2fix.

Thanks for the quick response.

Did the computer receive the correct IP from the local range configured on the router?
Yes
Do you have any software firewalls? Disable these.
Yes I did that. But that PC is moving upstairs, hence the need to go wireless. I can still plug in the ethernet cable after pulling the USB key & re-booting and all is well. But if I shut down, pull the ethernet cable and plug the D-Link DWL-G132 wireless USB key in & re-boot, after a while the Dlink software reports a connection & ipconfig shows 192.168.0.2, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.0.1. But I can no longer ping 192.168.0.1 (I can when on ethernet cable)
Maybe try Winsock2fix.
If you talking about the program you can get from here - http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html then I don't think the conditions mentioned on that page apply.

This program is designed to fix a situation where all of the following are true:

the computer can get a valid IP address
the computer can ping DNS numbers
the computer can be pinged from other computers
all other network services do not work (Telnet, ftp and Web browsers)

Only condition no 1 applies - 2 & 3 don't work.

The problem was encryption!

It will work with no security - or with WEP - but not using WPA!!!!!!!!!

Any thoughts on how to fix this - or is the answer to get another key by another manufacturer? Not using WPA is not an option.

The WPA functionality in Windows Me would have to be provided by the drivers. If there are no newer drivers available, then you don't have working WPA. As for whether another manufacturer has some better drivers with WPA support.. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back