D-Wave's new 2000Q quantum computer pack 2,000 qubits, hefty price tag

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Quantum computing company D-Wave Systems said last September that it would soon be shipping a quantum computer packing 2,000 qubits – twice the number of qubits found in the D-Wave 2X launched in August 2015.

Keeping its promise, D-Wave has announced the general commercial availability of the D-Wave 2000Q, a quantum computer sporting a whopping 2,000 qubits. Valued at $15 million, the first 2000Q has been acquired by Temporal Defense Systems Inc. (TDS), a leading cyber security firm.

D-Wave said in a press release that with the added qubits and new control features, the 2000Q can solve larger problems than was previously possible. Plus, with faster performance, the new quantum computer provides a big step toward production applications in optimization, cyber security, machine learning and sampling.

Using benchmark problems that are both challenging and relevant to real-world applications, D-Wave said the 2000Q outperformed highly specialized algorithms run on state-of-the-art classical servers by factors of 1,000 to 10,000 times.

James Burrell, TDS Chief Technology Officer and former FBI Deputy Assistant Director, said the D-Wave system will revolutionize secure communications, protect against insider threats and assist in the identification of cyber adversaries and attack patterns.

D-Wave International President Bo Ewald added that entirely new strategies are needed to combat ever-increasing cyber security threat levels.

Permalink to story.

What is going to happen to public key cryptosystems like RSA? For the uninitiated, RSA works on the premise that it is a hard problem to factorize large numbers on traditional computing systems.However there exists efficient algorithms on a quantum computer.

But more importantly will it run crysis?

Nothing will ever run crysis properly ;P

What is going to happen to public key cryptosystems like RSA? For the uninitiated, RSA works on the premise that it is a hard problem to factorize large numbers on traditional computing systems.However there exists efficient algorithms on a quantum computer.

In theory, the classic encryption methods will become obsolete as quantum computers appear on our networks. That is why some innovative companies are already working something called quantum encryption which looks to be a very promising answer to your question.
However, I fear that quantum computers will be operational sooner on our networks than quantum encryption.
I assume there will be a painful transition period, but we already have the answers.

However, I wonder how long ago have governments been using quantum computers for decrypting our data that we thought was safe. 5 years ago? 10? more?
Based on that none of our classic encryption algorithms have been having any use for a quite a while.....

It's just a big scam, why FBI did not use quantum computing where they need to unlock iPhones? ... On a different note, is there a smiley for sarcasm?

It's just a big scam, why FBI did not use quantum computing where they need to unlock iPhones? ... On a different note, is there a smiley for sarcasm?

Just in case people miss the sarcasm, I'll explain the reasons why the iPhone problem doesn't apply here (yes I'm bored)

Even a standard home PC can very quickly run through all the possible lock permutations between 0000 and 9999. However, the iPhone can be set to become permanently locked after a certain number of failed attempts. Brute force attacking the lock code would only have locked the phone and prevented them from getting the data they were after.

On the other hand, if you are able to intercept encoded network traffic (and let's assume all/most Government agencies can) then the only factor preventing you from guessing all of the permutations to de-crypt the data is time. Usually this process would be so slow that it isn't feasible to be able to monitor and de-crypt data on a large scale.

Quantum computing can drastically reduce the time it takes to do this, to the point where time is no longer a significant barrier to accessing the data. Once time is removed as a limiting factor, you can then scale up how much data you target, and start mass de-crypting data at will.

This is mind blowing. I for one have only a slender starved ghost of an idea how these computers work. Is there anyone on this forum who has even the slightest idea of what an algorithm for a machine of this type would do? Talk about an esoteric technology that the general public hasn't a clue about!

Also, did anyone anticipate that these machines would be so useful so soon?

It is a big unknown how this will effect encryption. Eventually all existing encryption algorithms will become obsolete with general purpose quantum computers. The point to note is this is not a general purpose quantum computer, and just how many qubits you need to crack different encryption algorithms is generally known.

I expect any government research into cracking encryption is classified. To the point where we won't know about it until someone outside the system develops and publishes the algorithms. I would not at all be surprised to learn organizations like the NSA can already crack all encryption algorithms, but they are keeping the information classified. But then I would also not be surprised to learn organizations like the NSA don't know how to data mine their own e-mail... Really nothing surprises me in terms of the government.

Nothing will ever run crysis properly ;P
Given there it doesn't seem to have PCI-E of an add-on card it sounds like will be relying on iGPU. It may struggle.

On the other hand quantum capability may also mean your character can be in more than one place at once - could be quite hand for deathmatch. :p

This reminds me of when I was a little kid, walking into Control Data's offices and seeing these massive machines that, at that time, cost a fortune, ( which I had no appreciation of).

Just in case people miss the sarcasm, I'll explain the reasons why the iPhone problem doesn't apply here (yes I'm bored)

Even a standard home PC can very quickly run through all the possible lock permutations between 0000 and 9999. However, the iPhone can be set to become permanently locked after a certain number of failed attempts. Brute force attacking the lock code would only have locked the phone and prevented them from getting the data they were after.

On the other hand, if you are able to intercept encoded network traffic (and let's assume all/most Government agencies can) then the only factor preventing you from guessing all of the permutations to de-crypt the data is time. Usually this process would be so slow that it isn't feasible to be able to monitor and de-crypt data on a large scale.

Quantum computing can drastically reduce the time it takes to do this, to the point where time is no longer a significant barrier to accessing the data. Once time is removed as a limiting factor, you can then scale up how much data you target, and start mass de-crypting data at will.

They De-soldered the memory chip. they were allowed to run a unlimited# of attempts. BUT with a Quantum algorithm it would be faster to just block decrypt the data as you could in a single pass run ALL decryption keys at the exact same time (in TRUE quantum computing.)

The hacking community needs one to jailbreak the PS 4 , and X Box one. ( note I left out switch because Nintendo seems to make easily hackable systems ).

In theory, the classic encryption methods will become obsolete as quantum computers appear on our networks. That is why some innovative companies are already working something called quantum encryption which looks to be a very promising answer to your question.
However, I fear that quantum computers will be operational sooner on our networks than quantum encryption.
I assume there will be a painful transition period, but we already have the answers.

However, I wonder how long ago have governments been using quantum computers for decrypting our data that we thought was safe. 5 years ago? 10? more?
Based on that none of our classic encryption algorithms have been having any use for a quite a while.....
They are cunning in making up plausible alternative exploit explanations when they could be just using Quantum computers already.

It is a big unknown how this will effect encryption. Eventually all existing encryption algorithms will become obsolete with general purpose quantum computers. The point to note is this is not a general purpose quantum computer, and just how many qubits you need to crack different encryption algorithms is generally known.

I expect any government research into cracking encryption is classified. To the point where we won't know about it until someone outside the system develops and publishes the algorithms. I would not at all be surprised to learn organizations like the NSA can already crack all encryption algorithms, but they are keeping the information classified. But then I would also not be surprised to learn organizations like the NSA don't know how to data mine their own e-mail... Really nothing surprises me in terms of the government.
There is zero doubt what effect it will have. ANY transmitted captured data will be crackable. Logins will be retrievable. Any encrypted at rest data will be easily compromised.

Once Quantum computers are live and have algorithms for AES and RSA, there will be enormous fallout in online IT systems. Hackers will look to compromise or route traffic through capture points.

Best bet is to have your finances in a government backed financial institution because if they can already do this, it is just a matter of time before that info is leaked and other governments or organisations swoop and the financial sector will be hit hard.

Back