D975xbx mb problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello ev1...my 1st posting...a little while ago i decided that i would like to build my own computer instead of buying the brand names.now here is my problem...using an intel d975xbx rev 4 motherboard. 2gb corsair twin ram,core 2 duo e6300 processor ,420w thermaltake ps. 250gb hard drive,and geforce 7100 graphic card. when i turned the system on, i had a power lite on the board, but no fans would run and monitor was blank....help.... called thermaltake and after disconnecting all power connectors and using a paper clip crossed green and blk wires and power supply fans ran .thus thermaltake said power supply is ok.now im thinking motherboard. any help out there would be appreciated..ty in advance...malamar

welcome to TechSpot malamar :)

the first thing I would check is for a short circuit. this would most likely be caused by a metal standoff in the wrong mounting hole. (you are using standoffs... right???)

to verify, you must remove the motherboard from the case and double-check all the standoff locations. there should only be standoffs where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole.

try "table testing" your system (run it with the mobo connected, but not installed in the case). if you still get the same issue, then run it with the bare essentials (CPU/HSF, mobo, PSU, video card [unless mobo has onboard video], and 1 stick of RAM). with only those components connected, you should be able to access your BIOS. then power down, add 1 component, and boot up. once all components have been confirmed "working", then you can re-install back into the case.

good luck :wave:

BTW, you started 2 identical threads. I assume that was a mistake, I'll try to contact a moderator for you to delete the 2nd thread.

hi kingcody..ty for the info.at this point i removed the power supply and hooked up a sm tower fan and i got nothing. the ps fans did not run and neither did the small fan.the fan test that thermaltake had me do was disconnect all power and using a paper clip cross the blk and green wires and fans should run.do you know of a better way of testing the power supply.

hi kingcody..i disconnected the motherboard and removed it a made sure that i had no extra stand-offs in the back of where the board is located everything ok. seems like im back to the board as being the problem.question... as soon as i turn the computer on should the cpu fan run???????? ty Ron

you've already verified that the PSU works (at least that it turns on), so the problem is likely somthing else... that doesn't necessarily mean that anything is broken.

First things first (I should have suggested this earlier ;)), double check your motherboard front panel connections. make sure the power switch wires are connected to the right pins on the motherboard header. to rule out a bad switch, remove the connector and use a screwdriver to connect the two "power switch" pins. shorting out those pins acts like a switch.

if the above doesn't work, then:

1. ground yourself
  2. disconnect all power and data wires
  3. remove RAM sticks and video card (and any other I/O cards)
  4. remove motherboard and place on a non-static surface
  5. install 1 stick of RAM
  6. install 1 video card
  7. connect monitor to your installed video card
  8. connect the 24-pin and 4-pin square power cables to the motherboard
  9. plug the PSU into a wall outlet and turn the power switch 'on'
  10. using a screwdriver, short out the "power switch" pins on the motherboard's front panel header

at this point, your power supply should turn on and you should have video. now power off, install 1 component, and power up. repeat this process until you verify that all components work, or you've found the problem component. I would start with your second RAM stick, then HDD, and so-on.

:wave:

good morning kingcody.. i followed your instruction to a tee,except after hooking up the 24 pin power supply i also hooked up a 4 pin and 8 pin power connectors.in my board instruction it said that i must hookup all three connectors in order for the board to work. my results were the same...nothing...so it seems that my problem lies between the motherboard or cpu or power supply or the memory. any more suggestion would be appreciated. ty ron

Hey malamar,
I have the same mobo and had exactly the problem you are discussing until this morning. Not sure if this will help you but worth a try.

I have a Antec P180 case & a Thermaltake power supply. The mobo had 3 connectors for chassis fans. One end connects to the motherboard and the other end connects to an input from the power supply.

*Do not connect (from chassis fan) to the mobo* Just connect the black wider end to the power supply.

This was the problem at my end. Not sure why that affects things. Hope this helps

hi moron_awake...ty for the info.and i will remember that. but i have not gotten that far.with the motherboard,cpu/fan,graphic card, and 2gb memory installed, i tried to access the bios. my fans did not even run. im still not sure that i don,t have a ps problem. question...the first time you turned your computer did the cpu fan start right away? also what memory are you using? im using corsair cm2x1024-6400.......ty Ron

No, it didn't. There appears to be some problem with my 4 pin power supply connector. I switched it and everything started running (I have new problems now, but anyways).

Everything stopped midway again unexpectedly and I then again switched the 4 pin connector and everything is up and running (for now).

without that 4 pin power conector your cpu fan won,t run. is the correct? im wondering if your power supply is not stable.i think that may be my problem.

The CPU fan has a separate connector. Once I have that connected, it runs fine. It could be a power supply problem. For now, it seems to run OK only that I can't get the BIOS to show up on the screen. How are things coming along at your end?

glad to see thay you are up and running.im going to get another power supply asap. unless someone has some other ideals i will wait until i get another ps.

hello...took my thermaltake power supply to a local computer dealer,and he confirmed that the power supply is dead,dead,dead,so will have to get another one.

new d975xbx motherboard

hi KINGCODY and MORON_AWAKE...just want to thank you guys for all your help.finally recieved a replacement thermaltake power supply today. installed same and everything worked just like KINGCODY SAID IT WOULD. THANK YOU..RON

hi ev1.. when i built my system i installed one sata 250gb hard drive/sata 300gb.when i formatted my hard drive it only shows about 137gb.that only about about of 25gb hard drive i bought.any help would be appreciated.

What OS are you trying to install XP? If the installation isn't XP SP2 + Windows won't recognise or let you partition more than about 135GB of space, no matter what size the disk is. You can fix this after install using Partition Magic or similar programs though.

Hey Raspygold. Ty For Responding.the First Thing I Did After Getting My Intel D975xbx Motherboard Up And Running Was To Install Windows Xp Pro. And Sp2 ,but Before It Did That It Had To Format My Hard Drive. When Xp Installation Was Complete I Saw That I Only Have A 135 Gb Hard Drive. Where Can I Get Partition Magic?

I think there are some old versions of the shareware floating around on the internet, I think that after Symantec took over PowerQuest they don't release any shareware version, only the paid version. I'll have a dig around for you though.

A lot of the old shareware versions of Partition Magic are availible through torrent tracking websites - I'm not sure how legal they are these days, but might be worth a look into.

hi raspygold. i just located a "wd data lifeguard tool disc" version 11.0 . i got it along with an wd eidi hard drive i orderd a few years ago. do you know if that will work to fix my hard drive???????? ty

hi raspygold. ty for your help,however i just solved my problem.while researching intel web site i found an article which told me what to do.i went into the bios and enabled "raid" even though i only have one 250gb hard drive.after enabling raid i had to reformat my hard drive.{took a looong time}after that was complete i had to install windows xp pro and now i can read the whole drive.until i read that article i was under the impression that you only enable raid if you are using more than one hard drive.again ty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back