Dads computer can't change desktop wallpapers

By leadpill924
Oct 8, 2007
  1. My dad's computer has had a problem for over a year now where you can't change the desktop wallpaper. I somehow managed to change it from plain black to a picture of my dog. I don't know why this is but you just can't click to change it. If you have any ideas why it doesn't work just tell me please.

Click the picture in the link to make it full size.
  2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

I have no idea why this would happen to you, but there are a couple of different ways to disable/enable changing your background. Maybe this setting has been changed, somehow?

1. Start > Run > type regedit and hit [enter]
    2. Browse to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
    3. In right right window pane, double click on the value named "NoChangingWallpaper"
    4. Changes its value to 0
    5. Collapse the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key and go to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
    6. Change its value to 0 also

Alternatively, you can also use the gpedit configuration utility (Start > Run > gpedit.msc ). In the 'User Configuration' section, browse to Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Display and change the value of an option named "Prevent changing background" (something like that, at least) to false.
  3. leadpill924

leadpill924 Banned Topic Starter Posts: 119

Alright thanks man I'll try this next time I go to my dad's house.
  4. leadpill924

leadpill924 Banned Topic Starter Posts: 119

There is no key that is called Active Desktop
  5. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Guru Posts: 363

The Smitfraud Virus will disable Wallpaper - have you checked for Malware?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.