Daily Download: Doom 3 demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
id Software has now released a playable Doom 3 demo, weighting in at 461.2 MB, it offers three levels from the Mars City mission. Blue's News has a complete list of mirrors.

If you haven't played the game yet and were planning to buy, I suggest you try the demo before, more than one person was dissapointed by the gameplay in Doom 3, while some others felt pretty enthusiastic about it.

I got it, dang good stuff. And runs quite spiffily on my Radeon 8500 (128). Sadly, I am a giant coward, and I don't think I would ever be able to get through the whole game, my hearts still beating fast from playing the 1st level of the demo (I got smoked at the end) and I quit playing ten minutes ago.

I also have a 8500 but 64mb, so it's quite laggy on the lowest settings. I'll try it a little more tomorrow, might still enjoy it.

It may be interesting of note that there is no difference between 'Medium Detail' and 'High Detail' for the texture quality.

It uses the same amount of Video RAM regardless without any noticeable difference in FPS, so go ahead and put it on high, as it will run as smooth as it does with medium, only look better. You don't have to play a polygonal mess if you don't have too...

Ehh, that'd be me then. Doom 3 is fine so long as you don't have to replay a level. Once you do you see how dull & repetitive it is. Nothing dynamic about it whatsoever, unlike, say Far Cry - a far better game.

Doom 3 does have in it's favour though it's ability to create fear. Wierd sounds or just red eyes charging at you. Creepy until you get killed & go through it again, noticing the same triggers, etc.

In a word - dated (& no, I'm not buying any of that rubbish about remake, it's just plain lazy programming).

I agree with Thomas, if this game wasn't so dark, it would just be and average game, and it would be oh so easy. Because of the darkness, you can't see what's coming at you. The darkness and the eerie sounds make the fear factor the highest of any game I've played so far. It's hard to believe that a GAME can be this scary. But, the game play is the same thing over and over.

I enjoyed playing through once, but once is enough.

Back to Far Cry, for the umpteenth tiime, and now also I've got COD: United Offensive, which so far is great. Can't stop playing it.

I can't wait for Half-Life 2 to come out, but, in my opinion, it will be hard to beat Far Cry. But it will be great is it does, and I hope it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back