Daily Download: RealPlayer 10 released for Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Based on the open source Helix player, RealPlayer 10 for Linux has been released. Now you can experience the latest RealPlayer technology on your Linux desktop.

"RealPlayer 10 supports RealAudio, RealVideo 10, MP3, Ogg Vorbis and Theora, H263, AAC and more. Get ready for accelerated video, full screen playback, and a lot more."

I noticed with interest that the new player is GTK aware, which means that it will detect your GTK theme and skin itself accordingly.

How comfortable will someone competent enough to use linux be installing something from real on their machine? I will not be that brave soul to try it first - I've been burned way too many times by that company.

I think one of the things Linux has going for it is no "Real" software for it. Now they've gone and #$%^% it up. ;)

Installed it (before the official release BTW)..

It hijacks all Gnome multimedia types it supports without asking and no option to restore them to originals - true Real style.

As for the reason to install Real on linux.. It is the only thing for (widely used) streaming media on Linux - WMP or QT are not available unless you use Crossover.

This is the new and official version with capabilities the same as the Windows player. The old one was a "community version" not really supported by Real..

Originally posted by Nodsu
As for the reason to install Real on linux.. It is the only thing for (widely used) streaming media on Linux - WMP or QT are not available unless you use Crossover.
Windows Media and QuickTime can be played in a web browser with mplayer using a plugin like Plugger. More choices here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back