Daisy chaining routers & Windows printer sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I have read so many posts on different forums concerning daisy chaining routers and there seem to be so many opinions out there that my head is spinning, so my apologies if this has been asked before, but I could really use some help!

Okay, my normal setup is Internet --> Cable Modem --> Wired Router (SMC 7004 ABR) (Router A, say) WAN port --> PC1, PC2, PC3 & PC4 on Router A LAN ports.

Router A default settings are:

IP Address: 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (not changeable)
DHCP Server: Enabled
Start IP: 192.168.2.2
End IP: 192.168.2.40

I got a good deal on Boxing Day on a Wireless Router ($9.88) (TRENDnet TEW-432BRP) (Router B, say) and thought I'd use it to add wireless capabilities to my (already "full" (4 ports)) home network so I could use additional laptops around the house without having to be hard-wired to the network.

Router B default settings are:

IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (changeable)
Start IP: 192.168.1.100
End IP: 192.168.1.199
All ports WAN/LAN are Auto-MDIX

What I did was disconnect the cable from PC 4 on Router A and plug it into Router B WAN port, and reconnect PC 4 to one of the LAN ports on the back of Router B.

PC4 and any wirelessly connected laptop can access the Internet through Router B --> Router A --> Cable Modem --> Internet without any problem, as can any of the PCs 1, 2 or 3 still connected to Router A. Any PC on Router B can log onto Router B or Router A management page without a problem.

But... trying to log onto Router B's management page from a PC on Router A doesn't work. This is not a problem in itself, however what IS the main problem is that the previously shared (Windows) printer on PC 4 is no longer accessible from any PC on Router A.

If anyone knows how to resolve this printer sharing problem, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Seems a bit long winded, for a few pounds/bucks/kroner/yen buy a hub to extend the ports on a router.

Also consider buying a jetdirect printer box, it allows you to share a printer with any PC.

The problem you have with the routers is that you have a different range of IP's on router B to router A, the only other way round it is to see if the routers will act as a bridge, this means that router B will get its IP address via router A and stay in the same IP range.

Regards

Hi Ididmyc600

Thanks for the response. A "little long winded" perhaps, but like I said, less than 10 bucks for a wireless router plus wireless laptop adapter wasn't a bad deal - plus, adding a hub wouldn't have given me wireless capability in the house.

Anyway, if you, or anyone else, can tell me what range of IP's I could use on each router to make this printer sharing thing work (I believe each router's IP's are changeable/configurable), or how specifically to make Router B act as a bridge, I'd appreciate it.

Thx again.

rmplp said:
Router A default settings are:
IP Address: 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (not changeable)
Start IP: 192.168.2.2
End IP: 192.168.2.40​

Router B default settings are:
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (changeable)
Start IP: 192.168.1.100
End IP: 192.168.1.199
All ports WAN/LAN are Auto-MDIX
What I did was disconnect the cable from PC 4 on Router A and plug it into Router B WAN port, and reconnect PC 4 to one of the LAN ports on the back of Router B.

the netmask(s) are the major problem. *if* router-a could change the netmast to 2155.255.192.0 life would have been beautiful.

as this is not the case, just invert the connections,
Code:
modem--->routerB--->routerA
set the routerB netmast 255.255.192.0
leave all wired systems on routerA

you can leave DHCP active on both routers and you now have a two segment
LAN:
192.168.2.x are your hardwired - trusted systems
192.168.1.x will be wireless devices -- basically untrusted​
and you can set your trusted systems to allow access to your known
wireless devices (the printer and any new laptop you add later).

suggest you is MAC filtering on the wireless router to force known devices
into an address range (2-4). now any roving laptop setting at your doorstep
can be excluded and they can't get into your trusted lan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back