Dang! that is smoke!!! Did I fry the mobo???? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swapping out a new mb/cpu combo. AMD64 2800 CPU. Anyway I THOUGHT everything was hooked up correctly! When I booted up, the power cable to the floppy burnt up! Now no post up / video at all. The PSU fans and CPU fans come on fine, drives fire up but no post....:(

Haven't had a chance to take it down to a bare bones system to start troubleshooting...or switch out some stuff......

Question is, do you think I fried my MB or CPU???

TIA
Zzman

Welcome to Techspot
Woooo! Pull the Floppy drive first, then the PSU and install new. Do a good visual check for shorts.In particular, Mount screws to Floppy drive Too Long?
Then power up again.If the cable to floppy is the only fried item Mb and etc may be intact. Be prepare to shut power off fast!!!

Most likely what happened is when you plugged in the power for the floppy, it was off by 1 pin. This would cause a pretty nasty short and would most definately cause the wire to overheat and melt the plastic on the wire, producing smoke.

What you'll want to do is cut off the burnt section of wire, and remove the floppy drive and the floppy drive cable from the PC. If you are lucky it will work just fine, but you definitely need to get a new floppy drive. If you cannot get it to post at all, you may need a new PSU. If you ruined the board, you most likely will be able to RMA it.

Well I killed something....

Went to a barebones rig and no post.....:(

Motherboard, video card, no ram or periperals.....no post:(
I guess now I need to find out if its both the CPU and mb or just one of them hopefully...

Zzman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back