DAP help or hinderance?

By Pazuzu
Jul 25, 2005
  1. I recently installed DAP (Speedbit Download Acceleator Plus v7.4.01) but am wondering if it is really any use to me. I have a 256kbps ADSL conection & run Win98 on a 333MHz PC. I don't download much in the way of music or multimedia & have limited system resources. I wonder if I would be better off without DAP but before I uninstall it ( the uninstall failed first attempt ! ) I would like a second opinion.
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Get rid of it, it includes adware.
    Go to and get their free version of Stardownloader. No ads, no spyware, small and fast.
  3. Pazuzu

Pazuzu TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 211

Uninstall DAP

Thanks for the advice realblackstuffDAP does not uninstall - I tried via control panel , CCleaner & from start/programs . When "wise wizard installation" starts the My documents window opens showing file name INSTALL of filetype install.log & then when I try to open I get "file not found. Please verify the correct file name was given". I emailed DAP support & they advise I should re-install DAP. On a previous error - DAP caused an invalid page fault in module MCF42.DLL at 0167.6C40049e registers - they advised renaming dapm_ftp.dll to - which I did. I wonder if that is part of the problem.
  4. Abraxas

Abraxas TS Rookie Posts: 157

DAP is a real pain. It once broke my system and contains adware like RBS already said. It's tough to get rid off as you already noticed.
    I don't use any download accelerators any more since resuming is not a problem in XP as opposed to Win98 (or was it 95, even?). Those times really sucked. :rolleyes:
  5. Pazuzu

Pazuzu TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 211

DAP zapped by spybot S & D

Just a thought for anyone trying to ditch DAP - I recollect that Spybot S&D (possibly a recent upgrade) found two DAP related issues & after getting rid I was free of the dippy DAP doo-da
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.