Das Keyboard launches 'Quiet' mechanical keyboard for office use

Shawn Knight

Staff member

das keyboard quiet red keyboard mechanical keyboard mx red switches

Das Keyboard, one of the most popular mechanical keyboard manufacturers, has announced a new model that eliminates the iconic audible feedback they are most known for. The Model S Professional Quiet utilizes Cherry MX Red switches to produce near-silent operation suitable for office environments and the like.

The Model S Professional before it shipped with your choice of Cherry MX Blue (audible click, firm resistance) or Cherry MX Brown (not quite as noisy, soft resistance) switches. The Cherry MX Red switches, which have been around since 2008, are said to be more linear and not produce much racket.

One of the drawbacks of the Cherry MX Red switches from Das is the fact that they have not yet built blank keycaps for these switches. At present, only the Cherry MX Blue and Cherry MX Brown switches are available with blank keycaps. Hopefully Das will bring this feature to the new switches in the near future.

Aside from the key changes, everything else is virtually identical to the previous model. The Quiet includes a PS/2 adapter that allows for full N-key rollover (limited to six-key rollover when using USB). There are also dedicated media controls and an integrated USB 2.0 hub built into the board.

The Model S Professional Quiet is a bit more expensive than previous versions as well. While the Model S Professional and the Model S Ultimate both retail for $139, the near-silent update will set you back an extra $10 when ordered directly from Das.

Permalink to story.

The Cherry MX Red switches are said to provide a similar tactical feel without the racket.
Um no, Reds are linear and have no tactile feel and is in no way similar to Blues or Browns.

Also not sure why it would cost more, just the "quiet office" marketing I guess.

Without the racket huh? But but but...that sound is the only reason I buy mechanical keyboards ._.

What will they think of next? A suckless vacuum cleaner? Or maybe an alarm clock with a silent alarm.

Next we'll hear das making mice with no buttons on them.... oh wait...

DAS keyboards seem nice. But this (quite version) seems like it ruins the classic clicky mechanical we all know and love.

Always wanted one of these. I love the regular keyboards, but when I'm trying to be quiet, it gets annoying when there's nothing else to drown the sound out lol.

Back