Data cd/dvd/flash drive/photo card not recognized without restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know how to fix this problem? I am using Window XP Pro, have tried uninstalling/reinstalling cd/dvd burner. No problem recognizing after restarting, but OS should recognized after inserting disc, card. All working properly in device manager: cd/dvd burner, USB ports. Will not show up in Explorer until after restart.

I am using AVG anti-virus software. Maybe that is turning off unrecognized input. Music is recognized okay. What else would be helpful about my system?

motherboard: ABIT KV-85 Socket 754, VIA K8M800
processor: AMD Sempron 64-2800 1.6 GHZ 64 bit/32bit box w/fan,sink
memory: (2) 512 MB DDR 400 MHZ, PC3200, 184 pin, CORSAIR
hard drive1: 40 GB Western Digital WD400JB-00FMAO Ultra ATA 100 Caviar 7/12/04
hard drive2: 80 GB Western Digital WD800JB-00JJCO Ultra ATA 100 Caviar SE 11/15/05
optical drive1: CD-R,RW: YAMAHA CRW3200E
optical drive2: DVD+-R/RW DL: NEC ND 3550A
anti-spyware: Spybot, Adaware
anti-virus: AVG Free Edition

OK
lets start with the CD and DVD drives - open "my computer" and right click on each one in turn and make sure that the autoplay option is enabled to prompt to choose an action. Reboot and stick a music CD in each to check that you are given a choice by the system.
Also check that DEP has not been turned from essential to specific by checking control panel > system > advanced > performance > data execution (should be on the top option).
Also make sure the service is running - Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Shell Hardware Detection : Return this service to Automatic.

my laptop has the same problem, haven't fixed it yet but when i log out and back in, the drivers appear.
It really isn't much of a problem for me (because i got my lappy free:))
But if it is a Pc that you bought, it may be different...i guess i need the solution too, if it fixes, tell me, thx.

1. On both optical drives, autoplay option is enabled to prompt to choose an action.
2. When any CD is inserted in each, a choice is NOT given by the system.
A music CD will be recognized in Winamp and is playable. A data/photo CD/DVD is only recognized after restarting.
3. DEP has NOT been turned from essential to specific.
4. Here is where we begin to deviate from normal. My OS has been modified by a friend to eliminate/streamline many features to streamline/customize XP. Under Administrative Tools, I have 2 listings: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\mscorcfg.msc, which will allow me to configure individual applications. Very few are listed.
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\ConfigWizards.exe, which will allow me to fix an application. The same very few are listed.
I guess I could add an application to configure...........?

I don't think the .net is part of this problem - but could be wrong as in truth you have exhausted my talents on this one. Sorry.
Bump anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back