Data Corruption Problem Solved

By Per Hansson
Apr 23, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It now seems like Abit has finally managed to fix the Data Corruption problem on the NF7-S mainboard, this is their reply to Nordichardware. They have also replied to the thread on their forums which I posted about here two days ago.

"Here's the latest update for SATA RAID-0 broken issue on NF7-S mainboards. After co-working with Silicon Image for one week, we finally found the SATA RAID-0 broken issue was caused by some improper register values. We already tested latest beta driver from Silicon Image; which fixes the wrong register values and had been confirmed to solve SATA RAID-0 broken issue in ABIT lab. Silicon Image will provide us another official release driver and ABIT will release it to customers in a couple of days." UPDATE: Asus has a driver which fixes the problem, it works on the NF7-S also (confirmed by myself plus others on Abit forums) you can download the driver here (before downloading please read my note below)
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 837

I sure hope it works and the final fix has no performance hit. I just ordered a pair of Raptor 10K RPM drives for RAID. We'll see.
  3. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Topic Starter Posts: 1,905   +115 Staff Member

NOTE 04/29: While this update does solve the problem it comes at a hefty performance degradation:
    (I.e. we are still waiting for the final fix from Abit and Silicon Image.)
  4. Work the DesternDigital Raptor on RAID 0 ?
  5. WesternDigital ;)
  6. Per Hansson

I am not sure if I understand your question...

Yes, the Serial ATA harddrive "Raptor" from Western Digital works with the board however it sufferrs from the same data corruption issues as all other harddrives do when connected to the Silicon Image serial ATA connectors....
  7. Per Hansson

This is now posted on the Silicon Image website:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    SiI3112A: nForce RAID 0 Data Corruption
    April 24, 2003

At this time we are aware of the issue and are working with nVidia to develop a solution to this data corruption problem. Some of the motherboard suppliers may have posted an SiI3112A driver on their websites, but it needs to be clarified that those drivers were intended to be an interim solution that just prevents the data corruption from occurring. There is a significant trade-off in performance when using these drivers so it is not likely to be the final solution.

As soon as nVidia and Silicon Image have an acceptable solution to the issue, we will post it on our websites as well as provide it to our motherboard customers for posting.

Thank you for your understanding.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
  8. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,508   +81

Silicon Image reports data corruption fix available!!!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.