TechSpot

Data Extraction

By lostviking
Jul 27, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I have an old laptop HDD (I think it's out of a Dell Latitudes laptop) and I need to access data off of it. I have an SATA/IDE to USB adaptor that I've used successfully several times in this type of situation. However, this particular drive won't respond when I hook it up. It just doesn't spin. I took it to a computer shop to see if they could help me, but they weren't able to get it going.
    My thinking is, if I was a bad guy and the F.B.I. confiscated this drive, how would they get info off of it? There must be a way. Any thoughts?
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,531   +300

Buy the exact same drive on ebay. If the drive isn't spinning up it is a board issue (or a HORRIBLE spinny failure). So, get the exact same drive from ebay or somewhere else, and swap out the PCB. Problem solved.
  3. lostviking

lostviking TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 30

I actually do have another one of these drives, and have wondered if there was a way to do something like you suggested, SNGX1275. The big question is, how is this done?
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,531   +300

You just remove the screws, swap boards, put screws back.

Here you go:

Ignore the part with the master/slave jumpers for sata drives.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.