TechSpot

data integration software

By steveo600rr
Feb 22, 2007
  1. Does anyhow here use any data integration software? I have tried pervasive, is there anything out there that you all have used that you would recommend? Oh, I'll be converting other database, excel files, and text files into SQL.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Perhaps you can tell us a lot more about what you are doing with what you have, and why the very good Pervasive didn't work for you. Just off the top of my head I can think of Boemi, Data Mirror, Informatica, Netrics, SAS, Sunopsis, Trillium...
    You need the job and the task, then the tool is easier.

3. steveo600rr

steveo600rr TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well what we are doing is converting our customer management program databases. The majority of them are in a .mdb format because we have only been converting our major competitors DB. But here pretty soon we are going to be converting or trying to convert anything throw at us.
    Lately I have been getting a lot of excel files that have been exported from QuickBooks. I can covert those but I just make some formatting changes then paste everything into a mbd file that is in the same format as our competitors because we have a utility that will import their db into ours. However it’s only designed to import their database into ours.

What I like about pervasive is that I can create a map for the excel file and dump it right into our database. What I can see that will be a problem is for example, in the excel spread sheet. It will list the customer info 4 times if they have 4 different vehicles. I don’t want enter customers name listed 4 times in the database. I want one customer name in the customer table and the vehicles associated to that customer. That is going to my challenge that I haven’t sat down and attempted to tackle yet.
    I hope this gives you a rough idea of what I will be doing.

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +622

ODBC file mappings is usually the bridge used here.

Export user data (from some system)-->ASCII flat file
    map it using ODBC into your dbms
    and then import the file.

As you can save/name the ODBC mappings, you create the map once
    per Export Source and just reuse it whenever necessary

The Question to be resolved is How does your system Import Data?

edit: see this

5. steveo600rr

steveo600rr TS Rookie Topic Starter

That does work in house however, my customers aren’t in house they are spread across the U.S. I don't want to walk someone through creating a obdc bridge. Our program right now covert everything into xml then appends the SQL database.

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +622

That's a great solution, if the data can be
    emailed / ftp to your host.

edit:
    terminology can be important; one INSERTs or UPDATEs to an SQL DB, not appends :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.