TechSpot

Data migration

By Chris516
Jun 25, 2006
  1. I am wanting to migrate the data on my 17GB HD to, a 147GB HD. While I did bookmark a page on it, I would also like someone to explain the steps I have to take, in order to accomplish this.

RSVP ASAP!!!!

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

are yo wanting to just transfer files or clone your entire OS installed programs and all?

3. WinDoWsMoNoPoLy

WinDoWsMoNoPoLy TS Rookie Posts: 252

Norton Ghost if your wanting to clone the current OS. If you just want to copy files. Master the new HD(cable select old) and install windows. Then once it's installed you can access your old HD and get whatever you want off it.

4. Chris516

Chris516 TS Rookie Topic Starter

In a sense, both because, I want to transfer everything over to the new 147GB HD and, make that the boot drive so, I can remove the 17GB HD.

5. WinDoWsMoNoPoLy

Yes, but the main thing i want to know is. Do you want to have to install all of your programs again or do you want to drop quite a bit of cash on a drive imaging program?

6. WinDoWsMoNoPoLy

Also, unless the new HD is a faster RPM you may not necessarily want to go to the trouble of imaging or installing Windows on the new HD. As it would really make no difference.

7. Chris516

I have heard of Norton Ghost. I do not have Norton Ghost. I want to transfer the 'system' and, all the files to the new drive.

8. WinDoWsMoNoPoLy

9. Chris516

Even though, it has a 15-day trial :mad: , I thank you for mentioning it. :) The only problem is.......I have to get up off my keister and, get the data migration done, before the trial ends :eek: . I downloaded it yesterday.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.