Data migration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wanting to migrate the data on my 17GB HD to, a 147GB HD. While I did bookmark a page on it, I would also like someone to explain the steps I have to take, in order to accomplish this.

RSVP ASAP!!!!

are yo wanting to just transfer files or clone your entire OS installed programs and all?

Norton Ghost if your wanting to clone the current OS. If you just want to copy files. Master the new HD(cable select old) and install windows. Then once it's installed you can access your old HD and get whatever you want off it.

iss said:
are yo wanting to just transfer files or clone your entire OS installed programs and all?

In a sense, both because, I want to transfer everything over to the new 147GB HD and, make that the boot drive so, I can remove the 17GB HD.

Yes, but the main thing i want to know is. Do you want to have to install all of your programs again or do you want to drop quite a bit of cash on a drive imaging program?

Also, unless the new HD is a faster RPM you may not necessarily want to go to the trouble of imaging or installing Windows on the new HD. As it would really make no difference.

WinDoWsMoNoPoLy said:
Norton Ghost if your wanting to clone the current OS. If you just want to copy files. Master the new HD(cable select old) and install windows. Then once it's installed you can access your old HD and get whatever you want off it.

I have heard of Norton Ghost. I do not have Norton Ghost. I want to transfer the 'system' and, all the files to the new drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back