TechSpot

Data recovery on FAT partition

By davids
May 10, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, I have a western digital drive using the FAT32 file system, there has been a problem with it, I think maybe the allocation table has been corrupted or something (just guessing) and now all that is visible on the drive is lost file fragments (millions of them).

I have run "R-undelete" (http://www.r-undelete.com/) and it is able to find actual files - so I guess they are still there, however, there seems to be too many files for R-undelete to cope with because it keeps crashing out.

To get to the point, can anyone recommend a good undelete program that I can download (and not too expensive) or any other ideas on how to recover the files??
  2. lukeyu

lukeyu TS Rookie Posts: 70

I suggest you use data recovery software such as EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard to recover files.

Download demo version: http://www.easeus.com/download.htm

You can use "AdvancedRecovery" to scan your corrupted partition. After the scan is complete, the lost file will be displayed in Data Recovery Wizard, you can select them and recover them.
  3. WinDoWsMoNoPoLy

WinDoWsMoNoPoLy TS Rookie Posts: 269

If it is as fragmented as you say i would just reformat and fresh install.
  4. davids

davids TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 177

WinDoWsMoNoPoLy
    I would much prefer to do that, but the drive belongs to someone else and they are hoping to rescue their data.

lukeyu
    Thanks for the link, I have ran that program and it looks as though it has recovered most of the files.

Il let you know the outcome when I pay for the program...
  5. davids

davids TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 177

Thanks alot lukeyu, that program worked a treat. it actually found 127gb of data on the 127gb drive! And it seems to have recovered pretty much everything i needed.
  6. lukeyu

lukeyu TS Rookie Posts: 70

Thank you Davids. I am very glad that my suggestion can help you.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.