Data recovery SD Card not accessible, says incorrect function showing unknown format

By maniram99
Apr 12, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I have a sony SD Card 16gb class 4 card. I did use the card for almost 3 months, when I tried to use it now, I am not able to access the card,

SD1.jpg SD2.jpg

I tried recovery softwares like recova etc to recover the file, but I was not able to recover even a single byte.

I have many importants files in the CARD, PLEASE HELP ME...,.

Thanks
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,853   +889

I think >>this thread<< could help you out :). He seems to have the same problem.
  3. Zi12345

Zi12345 Newcomer, in training

If chkdsk is not working than you could try to format the card and then run a recovery program. This worked for me.

I had the exact screen as you.

First try running just chkdsk X:
    To ensure that the computer is reading the disk (for me it read but said that there were errors).
    When I tried to run the /f and /r function the program stopped working.

In a last ditch effort I formatted the card and ran recuva on it and was able to recover all my files and the card is now usable again.

I hope you are able to fix your card.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,354   +302

If you take the reformat and then run file recovery approach - - - PLEASE be kind to yourself and during the reformat step, be sure to use QUICK FORMAT which will correct the partition table and the Free vs. Allocated lists but not rewrite every sector.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.