TechSpot

Data Recovery

By wazza
Feb 18, 2008
  1. Hi All

Dont know if this thread is in the right forum but here goes ...

What is wrong with my HDD? It displays all the files and folders on the drive but only some files have filesizes and the rest of the files haves filesizes that are equal to zero.
    I can copy files to the drive and read files from the drive. The HDD is NTFS done through windows.

I think my HDD is ... BROKEN but I cannot say die! To many valuable files on the drive as you all can imagine.

How do I fix or recover the files?

Thanks in advance

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Do you mean the data recovery software shows this, or Windows shows this?

Anyway please try this:

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer
    • Open My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
    • Click Properties, and then click Tools.
    • Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed
    Use one of the following procedures:
    • • To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
    • • To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start. (tick)
    • • To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
    Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Wait until Chkdsk finishes Checking / Repairing any faults
    Windows will then either restart your computer or continue loading Normally.

3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

You can also run the hard drive manufacturer's drive fitness test you can get free as a download. All drives except Toshiba have one.

4. kimsland

. .
    Source here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

5. wazza

wazza TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 69

Hi Kimsland

Thanks for the help.

I tried that and it ran check disk on startup. All went well and then booted into windows but I still have the same problems. No filesizes for the files.

6. kimsland

No filesizes for the files I thought I'd seen it all.

Um, can you create a txt file or pic or something and just confirm that you get a filesize.

No filesize usually means the file is absolutely blank (can't remember the lowest I think it's 32K)

7. kimsland

Found smallest size for one file here:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457112.aspx
    It's 4kb on standard NTFS

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.