DC Universe Online coming January 11, 2011

Emil

Staff

Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) has announced that DC Universe Online has reached gold master status and will be available at retail outlets worldwide for PC and PlayStation 3 on January 11, 2011. DC Universe Online, licensed by Warner Bros. on behalf of DC Entertainment, will be the first online game based in the DC Universe as well as the first MMO on the PS3.

DC Universe Online will cost $50 for PC and $60 for PS3 in North America. The game includes one 30-day game membership, with monthly subscriptions available thereafter for $15. SOE expects to update the game regularly with new episodes featuring DC Comics characters, new instances, and major in-game events. DC Universe Online allows players to create their own superheroes or villains and join forces with their favorite DC Comics characters to aid in saving or destroying the universe.

"Creating DC Universe Online has been a massive undertaking, and we’re excited to be that much closer to launch," Christopher Cao, Game Director of DCUO for Sony Online Entertainment, said in a statement. "We're grateful to our beta players for providing us invaluable feedback in these final stages that has enabled us to put the finishing touches on a fun and exciting experience when the game launches in January."

Permalink to story.

MMO+PS3=Lag. I don't care what you do, that machine simply isn't capable of properly running an MMO.

Have to pass on this one. That's a little pricey for a monthly fee and the superhero theme doesn't do a whole lot for me.

"MMO+PS3=Lag. I don't care what you do, that machine simply isn't capable of properly running an MMO. "

Yeah I agree, just like all the other PS3 MMOs.... oh wait... none have released yet... so how in the flying barbara bush do you know it isn't capable of running an MMO? People these days...

On another note TS, why cant I login to my regular account.

I lucked into a beta key for the PC, been trying it out... Mindless fun, but not much depth. About what you'd expect for a console/PC hybrid MMO.

hello ...

sorry princeton, but i have to agree with Guest here, it's the 1st PS3 MMO so can't really say anything about it! well unless like me you did try it ...

I'm new to MMOs, It's now nearly 4 months i started playing City of Heroes & all i can say is: STAY AWAY from the genre if you don't have enough time or money !!!! :p

I went for the 6 years old game for it is the ONLY 1 that could work on my old PC & i needed to test my 512k (Max 4M) back then ADSL for MMO playing & so because i was going to buy DCUO. I didn't go through the usual trial thing, for i got the game for cheap on steamy site including the 1st month subscription (seems like game free then) & now it's really hard for me to let go. MMOs are addictive & almost all good ones have monthly subscription of 12-16$.

I have more than 4 MMOs in my collection (Ex: City of Heroes/Villains + Rogue Expansion / Champions Online / Aion - Assault on Balaurea & Priston tale II (f2p) & some other F2Ps... ) ... & i'm playing ONLY CoH while waiting for the F2P version of CO & would some day, hopefully install & try the others... My next 1 would be DCUO on PS3 - i pre-ordered so got into the beta.

My experience with the beta in unfortunately horrible, for i never succeeded in running it for more than 2-3 minutes, it would freeze my system, for i had a doubt about the game being ready, yet on forums we discussed about it & was a known issue being patched & normally we can't expect betas to be perfect. The little i've seen though looks promising, i'm no cancelling my pre-order & now with a 1M ADSL (4M Max) if it works fine with CoH on PC, other PS3 games, i'm sure it will be good, not a CoH/WoW or Aion good, but still interesting ... so it will be a live test for me when it will be out & i'm sure i need to rob that bank now...

sorry for long post (well i'm sure you didn't miss me!) & wishing you all a Merry Christmas & lots of good things :)

cheers!

I'll admit that the intro cutscene looks very tasty, but I will stick to paying Blizzard for WoW rather than buying this.

I make the prediction now, it will have a small loyal customer base, nothing to really be considered "massive" and if it is not already free to play it will be so, but in order to get ANYWHERE in the game, you will have to pay out the ear for the simplest of amenities.

Back