TechSpot

DDR or DDR2 in my computer?

By 1234567890
Jul 23, 2005
  1. I'm about to get a new computer from Dell. The new computer (Dimension 4700) will have DDR2 SDRAM in it, and I want to transfer 1 GB of memory from my older computer into it (it has 2 GB and the invoice for the computer says DDR SDRAM). My question is, is the 2 in DDR implied? Will these be compatible?

Thanks

2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

DDR and DDR 2 are not the same.Although a lot of Mb can utilize DDR or DDR 2 , it is an either or situation. It is never a good idea to blend different ram on a machine. BTW the 2 will be faster. Also you should confirm at Dell as to the proper placement of the ram on the Mb if it will accept the DDR.

3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

woops hehe. :p

4. 1234567890

1234567890 TS Rookie Topic Starter

???? :confused:

5. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

I saw it Didou , but your secret is safe with me !

6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

you cannot use DDR Ram with DDR2 Ram. Also, DELL tends to use a lot of proprietary memory and other equipment. I highly recommend building your own system. It is a lot cheaper and much more compatible.

7. 1234567890

1234567890 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well, I guess I can live with 1 GB RAM in this computer. Thanks for the help all :) .

8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

1 GB is PLENTY!

9. just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody TS Rookie Posts: 182

DDR has 184 pins....and DDR2 I think, has 124 pins, and the key notches won't line up.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.