DDR or DDR2 in my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to get a new computer from Dell. The new computer (Dimension 4700) will have DDR2 SDRAM in it, and I want to transfer 1 GB of memory from my older computer into it (it has 2 GB and the invoice for the computer says DDR SDRAM). My question is, is the 2 in DDR implied? Will these be compatible?

Thanks

DDR and DDR 2 are not the same.Although a lot of Mb can utilize DDR or DDR 2 , it is an either or situation. It is never a good idea to blend different ram on a machine. BTW the 2 will be faster. Also you should confirm at Dell as to the proper placement of the ram on the Mb if it will accept the DDR.

you cannot use DDR Ram with DDR2 Ram. Also, DELL tends to use a lot of proprietary memory and other equipment. I highly recommend building your own system. It is a lot cheaper and much more compatible.

Tedster said:
you cannot use DDR Ram with DDR2 Ram. Also, DELL tends to use a lot of proprietary memory and other equipment. I highly recommend building your own system. It is a lot cheaper and much more compatible.

Well, I guess I can live with 1 GB RAM in this computer. Thanks for the help all :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back