DDR or GDDR3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STK

Ok I was looking at video cards, and i noticed some were DDR which I think is dial on demand routing. Others were GDDR3, what is GDDR3 and is it better or worse then DDR?

GDDR3 is actually DDR-2.

A hundred dollars better? I'm not sure...

As far as desktop memory goes, there's not much of an advantage. This may be different for graphics cards though. I haven't kept up with the stuff enough to give you my opinion on that though.

In theory, DDR2 offers twice the bandwidth of DDR. But the real performance depends on many other factors, including clock speed etc... For example, DDR2 @ 133Mhz should outperform DDR @ 200Mhz by about 33%. But if it is clocked at 100Mhz, then it is practically the same thing as the 200MHz DDR.

The problem here is, I don't think there are any Radeon x800s with regular DDR memory out there.... Are there?

Check this out (same model) #:
http://www.superwarehouse.com/ATI_Radeon_X800_Pro_256MB_Video_Card/100-435200/p/405894

But check out my link... Same model...

This link says it is DDR2.

ddr3

is what is on the new rocketship videocards......ie: x800 and 6800.........ddr2 is usually motherboard related, while ddr3 comes in 1.6 and 2 nanosecond flavors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back