Ddr Sdram

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

I don't understand, some motherboards have DDR RAM and others have SDRAM, and others have DDR SDRAM (not to be confused with DDR/SDRAM)! Whats the difference? What's the big idea? Why is it....?

DDR "ram" and DDR "sdram" are one and the same... it is another of those interchangeable terms.

so its like saying you can use DDR and SDRAM together? At the same time? Either or? Etc.

Some system boards (like the ECS K7S5A) do support both SDRAM and DDR-SDRAM, but they are usually budget boards and I wouldn't reccomend one. SDRAM and it's older brother are the same memory at heart, but DDR is twice as fast MHz wise, hence Double Data Rate, and they have different pin counts (168 vs. 184).

Originally posted by Vehementi
Some system boards (like the ECS K7S5A) do support both SDRAM and DDR-SDRAM, but they are usually budget boards and I wouldn't reccomend one.

I have two of them for tow years now, no problems at all and all works fine ...

You can either use SDR or DDR but not mix them.

sdram

is one channel memory.......double data ram is as it implies (2x it's integer).......so, getting 128 is like 256 of previouly described sdram.....do what it says, and install ddr.......it's the norm these days

I need to know about boards that say DDR SDRAM.

Forget about what I purchase. I just want to know.

plain and simple

that's the kind of memory you will use for your board..............ddr ram for a ddr board..................sdram for sdram boards..............rdram for rdram boards.......cough cough;)

So a board (one board, notice singularity) that says it supports DDR SDRAM means that.... it can support both DDR and SDRAM? Some weird form of DDR and SDRAM combined...? Both DDR and SDRAM can run simultaneously....? What!?

Does not concern my purchase(s). I want to know.

listen

last lesson.............get sdram out of your head........you are running ddr ram on that nf2 board period.........and, hopefully in dual channel

DDR SDRAM is DDR. DDR is a type of SDRAM, so perhaps that will make more sense.

There are three types of SDRAM boards. DDR SDRAM, SDRAM and Hybrid boards. Hybrids have slots for both SDRAM and DDR SDRAM, but only one type of memory may be used at once.

Does not concern my purchase(s). I want to know.

It was informational perposes only, JSR. I don't care if it's old, I still wanna know what's going on. Especially companies like Dell and Gateway make their comps look so fancy with tons of RAM and people say ooo mines better when they've got SD and the other person has DDR. The Dell XPS 3.0GHz high end gaming system has a mobo that supports DDR SDRAM.

I think Rick put it clear enough.
DDR SDRAM means "Double Data Rate Synchronous DRAM". DDR is just a short for that.
DRAM improved to SDRAM improved to DDR SDRAM.

This means the mobo supports DDR. Don't bother if you might be able to use SDRAM, it's actually more expensive than DDR nowadays and slower.

If you want to know more about the differences, and some history, read this, and click on the linked words...

If I were you, I'd limit myself to SDRAM and DDR SDRAM, as once you start throwing in all the rest it becomes quite a lot to learn... (But all of it is interesting!)

quote (from tomshardware):
Although the technical realization may be a lot more difficult, the basic principle of DDR-SDRAM is very simple. While the new memory module is clocked at the same speed as normal SDRAM, it is able to transport double the amount of data by using the rising as well as falling edge of the clock signal for data transfers.

Note: What is commonly refered to now as SDRAM is actually SDR-SDRAM (SDR=Single Data Rate). This obviously ran at half the speed, as data is only transferred once each clock cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back