DDR Upgrade Problem with Asus A7A 266

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a Asus A7A 266 mobo with AMD Athlon-PECM, 1200 MHz.
I had one 512mb DDR dimm (PC266) and bought yesterday a second one. For some reason, it is not being detected. I shuffled the dimms around to be sure both DDR sockets and Dimms work: they do. The new DIMM is detected in both sockets, as well as my older DIMM when placed alone. But placing both at the same time only detects one of them. I flashed my bios so that it's now updated to Revision 1012.

Anyone have any clue on what else I can do?

Thanks,
D.

what are the brands/chips/specs of your memory dimm modules? (seems they probably are incompatible with each other, or your bios settings refuses to run the new one @ the speed/latencies of the old one.)

ddr pbs with asus a7a 266

The tech from the store I bought at it told me the mobo does not support dual channeling a 266 mhz. So to make a long story short, I bought a 1024 dimm.

Thanks,
D.

okay... that just leaves the brand/chips/specs of your memory dimm modules... lol

what i mean is is it brand: kingston (old one) while the newer is an ocz?

is the old one single sided as in chips on one side while the new one has chips on both sides?

at which speed do your memory modules run, pc3200/ddr400, pc2700/ddr333 pc2100/ddr266, or even pc1600/ddr200? differences can be bad for your mobo. also differences in timings/latencies.

you have to take a look at them and write down anything important on the sticker on them. or you can use cpuz to identify them clearly : www.cpuid.c*m btw, for non heavy gaming 1024mb is more then enough memory, except in professional photoediting etc. so you could just use that one as it gives all the peroformance you'll probably need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back