DDR2 Motherboards compatible with a PC3200 Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

filipmike33

Hey guys, i was just wondering what if I bought a Motherboard that takes DDR2 800 or whatever but slapped on a PC3200 Ram, would that mobo read my ram? Will there be conflicts?

Also I was thinking of building a new PC and was wondering what is better. A E6400 or AMDs 5600?

Thanks in advance

First, you cannot use DDR1 RAM on a DDR2 motherboard. Just won't work. If it does, why bother make a motherboard with slots for both RAM? (sorry no link, but I've seen them before).

Also, the E6400 is definately way more powerful than ALMOST any AMD CPU out there at the moment, and definately more powerful than the 5600+.

zzz, this is a game to you guys? On a race to how fast you can get to 1000 post?

I'm just helping this guy out.

As others have alluded, you will likely damage or destroy your board and/or RAM if you put DDR1 into a DDR2 slot - which is why it is notched as such to prevent you from physically doing that.

However, if you simply must use that DDR1 ram, there are motherboards that have slots from both. The entry-level Intel 915 series, which as far as I know are not even manufactured anymore, sometimes have slots for both, as do budget boards from other various companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back