DDR3 RAM Problem

chrisb52

Problem: I have a Foxconn A88GMV Motherboard in my desktop.
It has 4 slots for DDR3 RAM with a max' of 16GB.
Currently, and over the last four years I have only used 2 of these slots with 2GB DDR3 RAM in each.
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OS.
It now only recognizes and USES only 2GB out of the 4GB.

Possible solutions please.
Many thanks.

The computer's over six years old, you have little expertise and things are starting to go wrong. Consider buying a new PC. You can safeguard your data by putting your existing hard drive in a USB external enclosure. That would be better than having computer issues spoil Christmas.

1. Backup your data.
2. Download manual for your motherboard from manufacturer.
3. Read it.
4. Locate and view YouTube video on cleaning your computer.
5. Clean your computer.
6. Remove all RAM, clean contacts with soft pencil eraser using a one direction 'down' stroke.
7. Confirm RAM slots on motherboard are clean.
8. Reinstall RAM in accord with manual.
9. Download and test RAM with memtest (run overnight) from memtest86.com

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000708.htm gives more information.

1. Backup your data.
2. Download manual for your motherboard from manufacturer.
3. Read it.
4. Locate and view YouTube video on cleaning your computer.
5. Clean your computer.
6. Remove all RAM, clean contacts with soft pencil eraser using a one direction 'down' stroke.
7. Confirm RAM slots on motherboard are clean.
8. Reinstall RAM in accord with manual.
9. Download and test RAM with memtest (run overnight) from memtest86.com

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000708.htm gives more information.

Thank you for that.

Just a tad bit of corrosion....

I have four slots on my Motherboard as highlighted earlier, and out of the four slots, only two have been in use (total 16GB Max')
with 2GB in each slot.
I have ordered another 2GB compatible with my system for the 3rd slot, but is it wise to leave the 4th slot empty? and will this adversely affect my system?
Appreciate your thoughts.

Most 4-slot DDR3 systems work slightly better if memory is in pairs. Your manual will be the best source for this information. The use of RAM can reduce/eliminate use of HDD as a page file and 8GB seems to be the new 'sweet spot'.

It all depends on how you use your system - browsing and large files for graphics might do better with extra memory - many games are now looking for larger amounts of memory.

Your CPU and your video card are other constraints. I am quite satisfied with my 12GB, Xeon w3550, AMD HD 5770 - but beginning to feel a pinch in the GPU because it is only 1GB VRAM (not 2GB or better 4).

Most 4-slot DDR3 systems work slightly better if memory is in pairs. Your manual will be the best source for this information. The use of RAM can reduce/eliminate use of HDD as a page file and 8GB seems to be the new 'sweet spot'.

It all depends on how you use your system - browsing and large files for graphics might do better with extra memory - many games are now looking for larger amounts of memory.

Your CPU and your video card are other constraints. I am quite satisfied with my 12GB, Xeon w3550, AMD HD 5770 - but beginning to feel a pinch in the GPU because it is only 1GB VRAM (not 2GB or better 4).
*****************************************************************************************************************************
Thanks Cycloid. Think I will get another 2Gb for the fourth and final slot, making 8Gb in total. I'm not a gamer or use large files as such, but I noticed recently that svchost is using a lot of RAM at idle..........about 1.3Gb............is that normal? as never noticed it before.

1.3Gb for svchost seems a bit over. I am using about half of that. Task Manager will disclose a dozen instances with different PID.. you may have one that is unhappy. A good move might be to engage SAFE MODE and run a scan - I use Malwarebytes Antimalware for that (free edition).

Back