Dead computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

40 oz.

I recently overclocked my cpu from 1.2 to 1.4 and raised the voltage to 1.825 volts. Weird thing that happened was I was testing for stability with prime 95 and the next day I wake up and the computer is turned off. I try to turn it back on but nothing happens when I press the power button. None of the fans turn on and there are no lights or sounds, the comp just sits there. The monitor turns on fine and its plugged into the same outlet so it can't be the house. Could this be a power supply problem because the power supply came with the case and is a generic one. Any thoughts to what could be going on?

My system:
Iwill KA-266-R
Athlon Tbird 1.2 @ 1.4
Win2k Pro

Problems like these are very difficult to pinpoint.

In order for this to happen, the PSU, motherboard, memory or CPU could be at fault. If you have any of these spare parts around, this is the time to swap them out.

You might want to try the PSU first, by replacing it with another one and see if you get some power to the fans, drives.. etc.. Perhaps if you have another computer lying around, you can swap out that PSU with the one you think might be dead and see if it delivers power to the computer.

Very rarely is overclocking "dangerous" enough that it can damage system components. However, it is possible you've burned something out on your motherboard or CPU due to excessive heat or improper voltage.

I don't remember what the stock core voltage is on the T-Bird (Isn't it 1.8v?), but you should only raise the core voltage about 0.2v of normal operating speed and no more. I've read this recommended as a "safe" voltage increase to do on most processors. I have no solid evidence to support this however. Each processor is different and can probably withstand different voltages as a result.

Thanks for the input, I don't believe the cpu is fried because it was at 40 degrees celcius before I went to sleep. The heat sink is a ThermalRight Ax-7 and I'm using Arctic Silver III so cpu heat may not be a problem. I did up the FSB to 140 from 133 mhz but it was stable and booting into win2k was fine. I was also playing a few hours of counter-strike at the clock speed as well. But I'll try the power supply swap first if my friend has a spare. Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't have another psu to test against so I ordered a 400watt antec one. Hope this fixes the problem.

Just for your info, did you not just press the power button but also "HOLD" it for 5-8 seconds. Sometimes when I am fooling around and the computer shuts off, it takes me a few tries while HOLDING the power button before it will power back up.

Usually holding the power button is linked to turning off the computer, but in this case I'd say try anything that has the potential...

You don't happen to be in a college dorm room do you? I only say this because you're 19...It could be that your roommate, or a buddy of yours, snuck in and played around with your machine. This a possibility?

BTW, I know there's almost no point in asking, but did you check and double-check and triple-check all your connections? You may have been too quick from the problem to TechSpot ;)

This might sound a wee bit odd, I've had a smiliar problem happen to my computer. It wouldn't turn on at all, so I unplugged the PSU for a few hours and plugged it back in.. Worked again.

Odd, huh?

Perhaps it will work for you. There's nothing wrong with trying a little witchdoctor science.

Originally posted by Rick
This might sound a wee bit odd, I've had a smiliar problem happen to my computer. It wouldn't turn on at all, so I unplugged the PSU for a few hours and plugged it back in.. Worked again.

Odd, huh?

Perhaps it will work for you. There's nothing wrong with trying a little witchdoctor science.

I agree 100% Rick, every once in awhile I have to do that too. Kinda like resetting it. Don't know why but it works.

Originally posted by Rick

Odd, huh?
Not to me. Some PSUs have internal protection mechanisms that do this. Usually they continue to work after they've cooled down a bit. If you're interested, check SFX/SFX12V Power Supply Design Guide for more details.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli

Not to me. Some PSUs have internal protection mechanisms that do this. Usually they continue to work after they've cooled down a bit. If you're interested, check SFX/SFX12V Power Supply Design Guide for more details.

You are indeed right, Mickey, and that's some very good info there.

Its also possible that the PSU connector on the mobo needed to be pressed firmly in again.

Usually, every time I open my machine, I give a few cables and power connectors and wires here and there a good press in just to make sure everything is cool.

Thanks for all the input, I tried that holding down thing on the button but nothing happened.

I also tried to unplug the psu for a few minutes and plug it back in to see if it worked, and nothing happened again. I think the unplugging sometimes works because things get messed up after a power surge and unplugging it for a few minutes fixes the problem. This happened to an old tv I had. The sound stayed on maximum whenever the tv was turned on, I unplugged it for a few minutes and everything was back to normal.

I'm only 17 and not in college yet so that can't be the problem, donno why I'm 19.

The power supply was by some Value Line company I've never heard of, and it could have just been poor quality and broke down after I installed too many components and turned up the voltage on the cpu.

Hmm. Well according to TechSpot your 19th birthday was just a couple edit:days:dead: ago. Odd... Might want to get that fixed.

Also, have you tried to clear the CMOS? That might help.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli

I always figured the reason was something along those lines. Once instance that had me wondering was when I used a very crappy power splitter that didn't fit quite right and I had to force it. It turned out it had a short and the PSU would cut off every time I plugged it in.

OK I got the birthday thing fixed, now its on the right date. And the computer's fixed as well, turns out the new power supply did the trick. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back