TechSpot

Dead computer?

By striderx240
Jan 23, 2008
  1. So I have this computer with a dead PSU so I switched it with a new one, but nothing happened. I hear it turn on, the fans turns on, but there isn't any moniter response.

2. wii-ste

wii-ste TS Rookie Posts: 197

Could be a faulty motherboard, processor or accessory. Try unplugging any PCI cards, extra hard drives and even try removing memory (you will need at least some to start the machine).

All of these thingscould cause the symptoms,

3. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

Clear CMOS?

4. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,714

Not good news.
    Take all the cards and memory off the board and try again. If you get a string of beeps you have some sort of life. If no beeps the motherboard is dead - probably fried when the 1st PSU failed. Sh1t happens - sorry.
    If you get the beeps, refit the memory and try again - you should still get beeps but this time they are telling you to fit a vga card (if not onboard). Keep putting things back until you find the culprit - that too may have been fried.

5. striderx240

striderx240 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 34

Ohk i'll try those suggestions now and lets see what happens..Thanks for the help.

6. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

You could have said that in the first series of posts you made about this computer, and the answer would have been pretty easy. If you do end up getting a new motherboard for this computer (likely in this case) you'll also have to replace the heatsink thermal paste to keep your processor heat down. The only reason I didn't mention that earlier was a lack of thermal paste wouldn't usually keep your video card from working.

7. striderx240

striderx240 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 34

oh cinders this is a different computer, my other post was for my current computer, this computer with the dead psu is an old computer.

8. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

My apologies for sounding testy in my previous post. I incorrectly assumed that this was the same computer as in the other thread.

9. sahraoui

sahraoui TS Rookie

hello please help i have dell latitude d620 and i lost my biose password
    service tag #GQ6ZG2J-595B
    express servic 364-123-694-35-
    order n:076427438
    please help and thinks
    email : email removed

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.