Dead Gigabyte K8U

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Warning: This is a long and winding story, read at your own risk*

Okay, about 7 month's ago, I had a problem on my MoBo when it simply wont sound a POST code, or anything else. Fan's spin, and that's just about it.
I called Gigabyte (Mobo Manufacturer) and they replaced my mobo with a "Certified" refurbished one. Worked fine, until about 10 minutes!
Called them, went over the same replacement process with another "Certified" refurb. Took forever, but once I got it, worked fine. No problem's until about a week ago. Same exact symptom's. I called Gigabyte (Again), they told me it might be my CPU so I head over to my local computer shop and buy a new CPU and Mobo for good measure. Put in new Mobo with old CPU, nada. New CPU with old Mobo, nada. New CPU and new Mobo...Drum Roll....Nada. Another symptom came up whilst testiing with the new Mobo, not nuff power to system. Fan's woud spin for a few seconds and than dead. This is without any IDE drives or my AGP vid card. So, with logical reasoning, I bought a new PSU. SAME EXACT THING. It then came to me that it might be my On/Off Switch on my case, so I bought a new switch and ordered a new case while I was at it. The dead fan thing stopped, but still no POST beep or display on monitor. The new case came in today, so I put it together in the new one, but still nothing. I ordered a new Vid Card from XFX and should be getting that soon. So, everything has been replaced excpet for my RAM...
One time I put it in the wrong way, so the DDR slot was all burned up, but I put it the right way after and it worked (Btw, this is before this whole drama).

I need expert help, all my vital job work is done on that PC so I cant wait!!

Thank's in advance for soothing my woes :p
--Foyaeman

well are you making sure you buy good quality psu's and not cheap generic ones? theres a whole bunch of story that goes behind that - just search the forum..

check that there's no shorting to the case?

all power connectors (including extra power for the motherboard if it needs it) connected, and secure?

maybe invest in a UPS or Surgemaster or the likes, because it could also be caused by irregular/spiked voltages coming throught the pc..

Ultra

Well, Initially I had the Ultra X-Connect 400w PSU, I replaced it with another Ultra 400W psu.

shorting to case?

I'm barely getting enough power with just the 20-Pin plug, wouldnt even spin fan's with extra 4-Pin.

Answers

Well, I didnt install any raiser's, my case had em' built in.

First thing I did when building computer was check for wattage, I know I have enuf. Although, how do I check for Amps...

Foyaeman said:
Although, how do I check for Amps...

Check the sticker attached to the PSU. It should say something like:

+12V: 32A

Or something like this:

+12V1: 16A
+12V2: 15A

Its best to build your unit outside the case, with the minimum setup to install the os. In the case of win xp, its hard drive, cdrom, ram, mobo, video, keyboard, mouse (preferrably ps2 mouse), cpu\hs\fan.
Get that up and running and then add in the rest of the system. Once you have it all running nicely, transfer it all to the case.
All you have to do to start the unit up is short the 2 jumpers that go to the power on\off switch with a flat screwdriver.
And Foyaeman has a good point as well. When having problems its best to take all out of the case, start over again and build the unit up outside the case.

Shorting Jumper

So, I would just um, press a flat-head screwdriver to the ON/Off Pins?Or Jumper ?

And, I frogot to mention, the power switch doesnt work after I switch it on, I have to turn it off from the back.

Yes, its easy. You mark or otherwise remember where the 2 power on\off switch wires connect to the motherboard and then unhook them. Now the 2 pins are bare and you press the screwdriver to these 2 pins. You can also consult the mobo manual to get that. There are a whole block of these pins, usually on the outside edge of the mobo, closer to the front of the case, sometimes on the edge of the side, closer to the bottom of the case. If you dont have the manual maybe you can find it on the cdrom or a visit to the mobo mfgr will get it for you in pdf format.

Anyway, there are 2 pins that the power on\off switch is connected to. Simply touch a thin, flat screwdriver to both pins and you will hear your system start up. It only takes around a second, give or take a part of a second. All it does is momentarily cause a tiny short and that causes the power supply to start up and the rest is history. I may not have it all down perfect but i am 100% correct on the screwdrive touching the 2 pins, lol. I have done it hundreds of times and others have done it thousands of times, lol. You wont get a shock. Make sure you get the right 2 pins, if not nothing bad will happen but your pc wont start.
To turn off your pc, use windows. If not in windows or windows wont work just take the same screwdriver and hold it against the 2 pins and the pc will shut off in about 5 seconds. It only takes a second to turn on with the screwdriver but it takes longer to turn off.

Okay, we need to know exactly what stage you are at. Is the mobo out of the case? Thats number one.
Are you down to the bare minimum you need to start your pc, that is video, ram, cpu\hs\fan, keyboard, mouse, 1 main primary hard drive with the jumper setting correct for only one drive on the channel?

If so, check all your connections, if Intel cpu then make sure the 4 pin, yellow and black wire connector is installed.
Give us details of your system.

Okay

Okay.

The system was out of the case, but I was forced to put it back for some reason's I would prefer not to share.

I have an AMD 64 bit,Ultra 512 MB Ram, Ultra X-Connect 400W PSU, XFX GeForce FX 128MB (Brand New).

The problem I'm having is, there's no POST beep, no monitor display, and I' not able to power it off from the front switch. Another thing is, there seem's to be no power to my IDE drive's when I switch the PC on, I replaced PSU but same problem.

I took in and out my RAM with no difference.

Okay, how about a bios re-set, done by following instructions in manual. If you dont have that i can tell you how to do it properly, unless you already know, but some mobos bios reset are different than others.

Okie

Alrighty, I reset CMOS, Took out almost everything (except essentials) but still :( I't still wont let me turn of from front power switch, and there's no POST beep :(

Did you reset the cmos according to the mobo mgr specs? Sorry, gotta ask.

I am sure you have your reasons for not taking it out of the box (boss, parent,etc.
Any way you could test your ram, using, memtest, say, in another pc?
You have to test one stick at a time.
If ram is ok, i am concerned about there being a short between mobo and case. But we will have to tackle this from another angle.

check all connections again.
Reset power supply
Reset the power supply by turning it off at the back and removing the supply lead, then press and hold the computers power on button for one minute. This is with the motherboard connected to the power supply.

Okie

Wow, thank you so much for helping me.

Well, I dont have any other computer's to test the RAM on.

Lol, what's a supply lead :p

Sorry about that.
Supply lead is the power cord from computer to the wall, usually black, main power cord.
I will review, see where we are, and see what else we can do.

Couple things come to mind.

You may have to enable your video in cmos or disable onboard and enable other video if you are using a video card.

The other thing, did you list the amps on your power supply.
Check the sticker attached to the PSU. It should say something like:

+12V: 32A

Or something like this:

+12V1: 16A
+12V2: 15A

When you answer, please make sure you answer in full.
Like this:
i did a cmos reset.
or
I did a cmos reset as you suggested, i checked the mobo manual and did it exactly that way.

See what i mean?
Need to be exact in this business, lol.

Alright

Okay, here is exactly what it say's on the side of my PSU:

Output: 400W

AC INPUT Voltage: 115/230V
AC INPUT Frequency: 50-60Hz
AC INPUT Current: 8.0A(RMS) for 115VAC input
4.5A(RMS) for 230VAC input

Max Output Current: +3.3VDC +5VDC +12VDC -12VDC -5VDC +5VSB
30A 32A 16A 0.8A 0.3A 2.0A

Max Combined Wattage: 240W | 192W | 9.6W| 1.5W| 10W|