Dead Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

shocker664

K i was having problems with my computer, found out that its my harddrive thats causing the problems. the computer freezes i go back to windows and my harddrive is not seen by windows, i go to bios and it doesnt see it either. i tried diffrent cables and makign sure its plugged in right but it still doesnt work. so i guess it crashed, is there anyway of getting the files on the broken harddrive? even if i need to open it or somehting im willing to try, i have all my files on that and i need them. thx!

and just so your not confused i have 2 harddrives so the one with windows is fine but the broken one has all the files and stuff is dead**

If it's absolutely dead and cannot turn on or be detected by Windows, you won't be getting the data off the drive cheaply. You'll have to go and bring it to a firm dedicated to data recovery. Expect to pay at least a few hundred, possibly more.

As a last measure to locked up platters in a harddrive.
(Now this may sound strange- but it has worked)

Remove the HardDrive form your computer
Wrap it in plastic - sealed
Leave it in the freezer for an hour (I once did overnight!)
Plug it back in (ofcourse remove from freezer!)
Turn on
You should get 10-20 mins out of it to recover files

Something I've never heard of, interesting approach and I can't see how it'd work (logically) but if it does, awesome :D.

It has saved me many times !
Not exactly the swap the speaker around measure, which gave me a good laugh.

This one is a real idea, and known across the web

I hope you realize I was only kidding about the speakers :(.

Yeah, not saying it won't work, just saying it doesn't seem logical. If it does work, which it very well may, it's an interesting approach. I'll have to try it myself in the future.

No I know that, I didn't mean laugh at you, I meant it was funny
What's more funny is, it was on a different thead!! So I'll shoosh up now, and wait for the user response.

ok.. hah i put it in the freezer wrapped up in plastic.. now i put it in for more then an hour.. just wondering after i put it in the computer still cold right?

k i just put it in the computer.. and it still doesnt see it!
also when i plug it in.. i listen and i dont here anything moving within the harddrive? is there any way of getting the platter out somehow and putting it into another harddrive or something like that?

Yes,

This type of data recovery usually costs above $1000 and will take a long time for recovery companies to recover each and every sector.

So is it worth that much?

no.. i have some pictures but there not worth 1000 bucks a well, il still keep it maybe someday il get the pictures k thx everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back