Dead laptop came back to life, now dead again

By chessonly
Dec 14, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi

my toshiba laptop was dead, the powerlight came on, the hard-disk was spinning but the screen remained blank.
    I tried everthing , stripping it completely, trying a new ram and narrowed the problem to the motherboard or the cpu. i.e I can conclude that the problem is with the the mobo or the cpu.
    This was a month ago.

Today I switched on again and voila! it worked, the bios loaded! I had removed the hard-disk, so switched it off, attached the HD and started it up again.. this time it didn't work. And hasn't since. I have again stripped it down , but it still doesn't work.
    CAn anyone plzzzzz exlplain what is going here?? I mean it started , that means nothings fried, right??

Thanks

btw the fan spins for exactly 5 seconds before turning off.
  2. mscrx

mscrx Newcomer, in training Posts: 829

there is something like a "hardware reset" available on many laptops.
    - try to plug out everything except cpu and memory
    - remove the battery and do not attach the power supply
    - open the lid and hold the power on button for like 20 seconds
    - plug everything back in and try to boot
    that worked for me for some compaq and dell laptops which did act like yours

my two cents...
    mscrx
  3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,602   +80

Either there is a short on the plug socket where you connect the AC to or the MOBO has a fault in it. Best to just have the MOBO replaced. I didn't have spare parts so I just did it a quick way just take out the HDD and stick in to a system that works! Only do this if the unit isn't under a protection plan.
  4. ssveloso

ssveloso Newcomer, in training

Hi to all

:) I would like to share my knowledge in repairing Laptop & Desktop Computer to everyone, that's why i join here. Thanks
  5. lamo

lamo Newcomer, in training Posts: 570

chessonly, it would be better if you tell me exact model of your laptop.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.