Dead Processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently upgraded my computer with a new processor (from 2800+ to 3800+), heat sink, fan, and ram (Had Patriot 2x1GB PC3200 DDR400, got 2x1GB A-Data for a total of 4GB). I ordered the parts about 2 months ago and was just able to upgrade it this past week (My son was born and I moved across country). Anywho - after installing everything I tried to boot up my computer and dun dun dun... nothing. It boots up in the sense that the fans (Processor, PSU, Vid Card, Case) and HDs boot up but - Blank screen. I checked the RGB cord's pins and they were all straight so I tried another monitor - same problem. Tried DVI and same thing. Put the card in another computer using the same monitor and it worked. Put it back in my computer and unplugged 2 of the 3 HDs figuring maybe the new processor took up too much power and still nothing. Took out the processor and reseated it, took out both new ram sticks, then tried taking out 1 of the patriot sticks. Took out the battery for 5 minutes to try and reset the CMOS and still nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm lost and have NO clue what to do at this point.

P.S. I bent the old processor's pins whilst taking it out (the old heatsink didn't allow me to lift the lever)

Specs:
ECS RX480-A Motherboard
Allied 450W ATX Power Supply
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 89W Single-Core Processor
Sink/Fan XIGMATEK XP-S964 92mm Rifle CPU Cooler
(2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Patriot Signature
(2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) A-DATA
HIS ATI Radeon X1300 IceQ Turbo 256MB DVI/HDTV PCI-Express Video Card
Hard drive WD800JD Caviar Blue 80 GB, 3 Gb/s, 8 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA

Does the PC kick off after it boots or does it stay on with no video output?

Id say its either your CPU or Mobo. I have heard so so things about ECS motherboards did the motherboard work ok after the move? if so, I guess that eliminates that.

the MOBO did work just fine after the move. It stays on with no video output. What would happen if I started up the PC without a CPU? Would it at least give me video?

Take the RAM out and see if the PC boots when you power it on. That would let you know that the processor is working.

Have you checked the power supply? If it's not that, you could have damaged the motherboard when you removed the old cpu (the one with the bent pin) . I would first check the power supply. If it's not that, then see if someone has a compatible board that you can test your new processor in. If the processor works in their board good. Test another processor in your board (maybe something like your old one), if that works but not the new one, you may need to upgrade your bios to a newer version to work with the new cpu. Good luck :cool: .

Negative to RAM trick. How do I check the power? It powers on and fans spin and such, it's just that nothing shows up on video. I moved to minneapolis and know NO ONE here so I can't test the board or CPU. I checked the card in another computer last time I visited with friends, but I won't be going back for a few months and I don't want to be without my PC for that long. Do compusa or microcenter rent out CPUs or motherboards?

Hi uskrewed,

I have the same problem. I installed a used CPu and it worked before but now I placed it in the new ECS- RS482-M mobo with the Corsair 2x512mb memory and the on board video and still no video. Also, my keyboard and mouse does not even work.

Then, I transfer all component to my Asus A8N-SLI Premium mobo and still no video. I tried putting in each memory stick at a time and still does not work.

So, i am stuck like you?

By the way, how do i reset the CMOS. i took the battery out once and swap it between the two board. Could that be the reason??? Please help I am very confused.

Before you blame it on the ram dont do that just yet.

you got a lot of problems lol. but lets try to solve them one at a time.

First off you dont know if it is the power supply that is defective. If you are running a powerful graphics card and multiple hard drive and devices powersupply could be the problem . However from your specs i would rule it out. I am running a 500 W power supply on my computer running 2 8800 gts nvdia cards on my computer plus 4 hard drives and its running fine. So with your specs the power supply should be fine.

Since you are receiving no signal have you tried test the graphics card on another computer. That is the only way to rule this out. So if not go do this.

If your computer is booting up and running thats a good sign. If it gets no signal thats still a good sign for the processor. The only way to know if your processor is really messed up is to see your computer run in action , processor damage usually results in computer resets and freezing. Sometimes the blue screen of death. AS long as you dont touch the processor with your fingers or dirt is wiped on it its fine. Bending the pins shouldnt be the problem.

On to the ram: Depending on the slots the ram is in it does effect how a computer reaches POST. Try the different slots and test the ram in other computers. If the ram works its , probably the processor at fault. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back