Deadpool takes the award for most pirated movie of 2016

midian182

Staff member

Last year’s superhero movie Deadpool boasts a slew of impressive statistics: it made over $783 million at the worldwide box office, became the highest-grossing R-rated motion picture of all time, and earned two Golden Globe nominations. So it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise to learn that it was also the most pirated movie of 2016.

TorrentFreak has compiled a list of the ten most pirated movies from last year, half of which are titles are based on comic books - seems the genre's popularity isn't showing signs of slowing down. Copies of Deadpool first started appearing online in February, with millions of downloads taking place within the following months.

While some entries failed to gain critical acclaim - Suicide Squad, Warcraft, Batman v Superman - the top ten all did well at the box office. Even Independence Day: Resurgence, which had an unimpressive North American debut, managed to gross over $387 million worldwide. Though not every high earner made it onto the list; the third-best grossing movie of 2016, Zootopia, is noticeably absent.

"While file-sharers may have a slight preference for geeky films, in general there's a high correlation between piracy and box-office sales," wrote TorrentFreak.

Last week, TorrentFreak revealed that the most pirated TV show of 2016 was not Grand Tour, as previously reported, but Game of Thrones. The motoring show starring Clarkson and friends had the highest volume of piracy for a UK TV show, but sat in third place behind The Walking Dead on the overall list.

Permalink to story.

Well I have no intention of adding my name to the piracy list nor my money to the box office takings for any of these shows, in fact I've never even heard of any of them due to my complete lack of interest in anything Hollywood.

Well I have no intention of adding my name to the piracy list nor my money to the box office takings for any of these shows, in fact I've never even heard of any of them due to my complete lack of interest in anything Hollywood.

If you have no interest in anything Hollywood, why did you click the link and post a comment?

People like to post when they like something and they definitely like to post when they dislike something.

I volunteer setting up ymca pool parties so that's a jealous movie title. It's more like dead ocean since the radioactivity from fukashima reached oregon.

If you have no interest in anything Hollywood, why did you click the link and post a comment?

Because I am interested in his complete lack of interest... on this very specific topic. :D(y)

Box office numbers look a bit suspicious... four of those titles have the exact same take, down to the dollar. If they are just estimates, why so specific? I could use a random number generator and make a more believable list of values.

Box office numbers look a bit suspicious... four of those titles have the exact same take, down to the dollar. If they are just estimates, why so specific? I could use a random number generator and make a more believable list of values.

Yeah Deadpool is about right but the others are way off. According to BoxofficeMojo.com

Deadpool $783,112,979

Captain America: Civil War $1,153,304,495

Star Wars: Force Awakens $2,068,223,624

X-men Apocalypse $543,934,787

Back