Deal alert: Save 20 percent on PC gaming gear via Amazon (today only)

Shawn Knight

Staff member

TwitchCon 2016 may be in the record books but there’s still time to save 20 percent off select gaming gear via Amazon.

To get in on the action, simply head over to the Amazon landing page. There, you’ll find more than a dozen participating items including a Toshiba OCZ Trion 150 120GB solid state drive for $34.64 (a savings of $8.66), a G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R RGB mechanical gaming keyboard for $95.99 (you save $24) and a Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB kit (16GB x 2) DDR4 2400 for $106.39 (regularly $132.99).

If it’s a desktop system you’re after, you can grab the CybertronPC CLX SET 1060S packing a liquid-cooled Intel Core i7-6700K overclocked to 4.5GHz, 16GB of Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 RAM, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 video card and a 240GB solid state drive (plus a 2TB hard drive) for $1,599.99 (a $400 savings).

Prefer a mobile gaming rig? Maybe MSI’s GS72 Stealth Pro 4K-202 gaming laptop is more your style. It features a 17.3-inch 4K display driven by an Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, an Nvidia GTX 970M GPU, a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD, yours for just $1,554.14 (down from $1,942.67).

On the checkout page, simply enter ”TWITCHCON20” (without quotes) and click apply to grab the discount. The promotion expires tonight (October 7) at 11:59 p.m. Pacific so if there’s something that catches your eye, you might want to snatch it up ASAP.

Permalink to story.

Alas only for the US version, not for .fr or .de ...

Dammit, I would love to have discounts on the old continent from time to time :'(

It really bothers me that the article doesn't disclose the fact that the amazon link provided gives a kickback to this website if/when people make purchases after clicking through from the hotlink in the article. You can see this with the "tag=" in the URL here: http://I.imgur.com/6FqVcSq.png.

I really feel like these kinds of maneuvers take techspot.com leaps back from being a reputable tech journalism site and basically put it alongside the hundreds of for-pay blogs that bring very little to the tech consumer. If you're going to do this why not disclose it in the article? Are times so hard as to require this kind of revenue supplementation?

It's difficult to imagine being able to place much weight in product or service reviews in the future after this kind of behavior.

Who buys ready built systems for gaming though? Everyone I know that is serious about gaming builds their own.

It really bothers me that the article doesn't disclose the fact that the amazon link provided gives a kickback to this website if/when people make purchases after clicking through from the hotlink in the article. You can see this with the "tag=" in the URL here: http://I.imgur.com/6FqVcSq.png.

I really feel like these kinds of maneuvers take techspot.com leaps back from being a reputable tech journalism site and basically put it alongside the hundreds of for-pay blogs that bring very little to the tech consumer. If you're going to do this why not disclose it in the article? Are times so hard as to require this kind of revenue supplementation?

It's difficult to imagine being able to place much weight in product or service reviews in the future after this kind of behavior.

Dude, STFU.

These guys don't write for charity nor should anyone expect them to.

If I recommend a book, service, or product on one of my blogs, you better believe good stuff will have an affiliate link attached to it. It's the best way to monetize without bogging down your readers with ads.

Do you even realize how silly you sound?

"Here's 20% off on hardware. Buy up."

"..but that's an affiliate link."

"Yes."

"How incredibly misleading of you! I get 20% off and you get paid?! Outrageous!"

I think you should stick to brick and mortar for your shopping. E-commerce is too advanced for you.

Who buys ready built systems for gaming though? Everyone I know that is serious about gaming builds their own.

You would be surprise but tons of people buy already built gaming computers for gaming, I never did as I enjoy building my own but lots of people don't want to mess with it or learn how to do it.

I don't think I'd be surprised. I sell a lot of pre built computers for gaming as well, but those are custom consignment builds.

I don't think I'd be surprised. I sell a lot of pre built computers for gaming as well, but those are custom consignment builds.

Was thinking of getting into this myself. What kind of margins are you dealing with?

I buy parts at around 45% - 50% of retail so I make a decent profit, you need to get wholesale agreements with manufacturers though. You will need to buy a lot of parts for the discounts though.

I buy parts at around 45% - 50% of retail so I make a decent profit, you need to get wholesale agreements with manufacturers though. You will need to buy a lot of parts for the discounts though.

Thanks. You have a ballpark number/volume?

Nope, it varies by supplier. You need to contact them directly, or deal through the manufacturers if you will be using a lot of the same parts over and over. It's tough to do with some parts as there are so many choices, but you can guide your customers that don't know what's good to the best parts available at the time, and just use those to limit the variability.

Back