decent mobo req'd

By vega
Feb 9, 2004
  1. Even though I'm no newbie (I'v been messing around with pcs since the eighties), I have to admit to being completly ignorant regarding the joys of overclocking as my mandate is to bunge all the components together, switch on the power, and voila - mainstream computer!
    I'm on the lookout for a new motherboard to complement my amd 2600 xp processor but don't need a mobo which is fully kitted up for raging overclockers, just a mobo, which offers a decent turn of speed and performance - I like the look of the soltek 75frn, but can anyone offer any suggestions?
  2. snowman

snowman TS Rookie Posts: 183

Epox 8RDA3G, Abit NF7-S 2.0, Asus A7V8X, there are probably many more but those are some commonly used ones.
  3. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 993

If you're looking for a stable motherboard with no intentino to overclock, Gigabyte nForce 2 Boards can be considered.
  4. Eric Legge

Eric Legge TS Rookie Posts: 132

If you want to overclock, don't ever buy Intel motherboards. They are the worst for overclocking because Intel has a vested interest in not aiding and abetting the overclocking of its own processors.

Have a look at the overclocking database at to find out which boards overclock the best and which processors are the best overclockers.

5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Asus A7N8X-X, mature board with Nvidia chipset, better than the VIA-chip version (A7V8X)
  6. Bug

Bug TS Rookie Posts: 79

I also recommend the Shuttle AN35N - Ultra. It is an nForce2 board, and all reviews I have read state that it is very stable and "boring" when it comes to overclocking. I'm not interested in overclocking. I've had mine for a few months and am very happy with it. Plus, the price is pretty reasonable for an nForce2 board. Good luck
  7. MattG

MattG TS Rookie Posts: 140

MSI Boards is all i will ever buy.

Im using there new KT600 Delta rocks.
  8. somekid007

somekid007 TS Rookie Posts: 271

abit an7, abit nf7, asus a7n8x, msi k7n2dl, leadtek k7ncr18d, gigabyte1 ga7n400, epox 8rda3+, dfi lanparty nfII
  9. vega

vega TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 147

Thanks for the input people.
    After checking the specs and performance of each board mentioned, I'v come down to one major criteria - the board must incorporate the nvidia chipset so I'v plumped for either the asus A7N8X and the KT600 boards - I'll let you know which one I finally choose.
    Again, thanks for your insight. :grinthumb :grinthumb
  10. NoisySilence

NoisySilence TS Rookie Posts: 98

The KT600 is a chipset made by Via, it is not a board.
  11. vega

vega TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 147

I'm glad someones heads screwed on the right way today, thanks for the reminder Noisy!:eek: :eek:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.