Decided to build a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai

Well decided to build a computer since a friend is a tech genius and I can build a more expensive computer for cheaper than premade. So here is what we came up with, what I want to ask you is if you can tell me that all these components will work nicely together.

Seems like it would be a nice PC, just want to make sure it would work nicely together and everything.

I saw on the motherboard specs that the "ram standard" =1066. Your choice of ram is 800 mhz. You should check closer on that board to be sure that the 800mhz ram will work.

Ok I'll look about the RAM. And M0R0NI, even if I go with the PSU I posted, will it be a problem soon or in the future?

The reason I suggested the other one is the fact the one you have chosen only has one 12v rail. The one I have suggested has 3 12V rails. It will provide a much more stable voltage and last longer. Will be good for many upgrades to come.

Also, question about the Graphics card. I was reading the comments on neweggs page about the ones I posted. They said that on huge monitors and big resolutions (in the 2,000's) that it runs perfectly. But on smaller resolutions, it doesn't do to great. The resolution I use is 1280x1024, so I'm kind of nervous about that. Any suggestions or any other graphic card suggestions?

M0R0NI said:
The reason I suggested the other one is the fact the one you have chosen only has one 12v rail. The one I have suggested has 3 12V rails. It will provide a much more stable voltage and last longer. Will be good for many upgrades to come.

I noticed in the comments (on neweggs page) on the one I posted that the PSU is very quite. What about the one you posted? Don't really want a loud/noisy PSU. Yet I like the one you posted, seems good.

I'd stick with the PSU you picked out. They are a very reputable PSU maker.

Only other thing is what was mentioned above about the RAM. The DDR2 800 you have will work without any issues, but your motherboard supports faster RAM.

http://www.pcpower.com/technology/myths/
PC Power&Cooling said:
8. ARE MULTIPLE 12-VOLT RAILS BETTER THAN A SINGLE 12-VOLT RAIL?
With all the hype about multiple 12-volt rails (ads claim that two rails is better than one, five is better than four, etc.), you'd think it was a better design. Unfortunately, it's not!

Here are the facts: A large, single 12-volt rail (without a 240VA limit) can transfer 100% of the 12-volt output from the PSU to the computer, while a multi-rail 12-volt design has distribution losses of up to 30% of the power supply's rating. Those losses occur because power literally gets “trapped" on under-utilized rails. For example, if the 12-volt rail that powers the CPU is rated for 17 amps and the CPU only uses 7A, the remaining 10A is unusable, since it is isolated from the rest of the system.

Since the maximum current from any one 12-volt rail of a multiple-rail PSU is limited to 20 amps (240VA / 12 volts = 20 amps), PCs with high-performance components that draw over 20 amps from the same rail are subject to over-current shutdowns. With power requirements for multiple processors and graphics cards continuing to grow, the multiple-rail design, with its 240VA limit per rail, is basically obsolete.

PC Power and Cooling is once again leading the industry. All of our power supplies now feature a large, single 12-volt rail. The design is favored by major processor and graphics companies, complies with EPS12V specs (the 240VA limit is not a requirement) and is approved by all major safety agencies such as UL and TUV.3

I've been looking for 4GB of PC2 8600 (DDR2 1066) in two dimms but everything seems to be sold out. You'll have to wait for more stock to come in or purchase 4 1GB dimms instead.

SNGX1275 said:
I'd stick with the PSU you picked out. They are a very reputable PSU maker.

Only other thing is what was mentioned above about the RAM. The DDR2 800 you have will work without any issues, but your motherboard supports faster RAM.

http://www.pcpower.com/technology/myths/

Okay, if that's true about the PSU then I'll stick with that one. And are you sure the RAM will work correctly? Don't want to buy it then be out of luck.

Okay I wanted to ask will this all work on Windows XP Home SP2? And will all 4GB of the ram work, and if I decide to upgrade to 8GB, will all 8GB work?

Because the RAM I posted was designed for vista, so just want to make sure it will work with XP.

Also I decided to switch graphic cards to this one, will this also work with the system I posted? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130319

The RAM will work fine no matter what OS, it doesn't care. But you won't be able to use over about 3 in XP Home, you need a 64bit OS to use 4+. Yes video card will work.

I'd recommend getting an X38-based\P35-based motherboard along with an E8400 instead. It will give you far better performance compared to the Phenom and power consumption will also be lower. Also, that big a PSU is simply overkill, unless you're going to throw in another 8800GT in there which is not possible since the motherboard only supports Crossfire. I'd suggest getting the Corsair 450VX instead. It has a single rail with 33A on it, which will be more than enough for your system.

SNGX1275 said:
The RAM will work fine no matter what OS, it doesn't care. But you won't be able to use over about 3 in XP Home, you need a 64bit OS to use 4+. Yes video card will work.

I'm sorry but I'm new to this, what OS is a 64bit?

XP and Vista both have 64 bit versions, if you don't specifically know you are running the 64bit one then you aren't, you are running the 32bit one. 32bit maxes out at 4GB of RAM and due to the way devices are handled Windows isn't going to be able to fully utilize 4GB. Its all been discussed extensively on these boards as well as all over the internet. Its conceptually a bit difficult for me to explain, but what it boils down to is you aren't going to be able to use all that 4 gigs and certainly not more than 4 if you are running a 32bit OS.

I bought everything and it should arive around the 6th, well i was just curious and started to read the custom reviews on the Motherboard and found a lot of negative ones, kind of worried now. Anyone know about this motherboard specifically?

Also, one last question. I went with 8GB RAM, and Windows Vista x64 Home Premium, was wondering is Crysis and COD4 at max settings will run smoothly on this machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back