Decline expected in the game-console market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Perhaps end-users are finally getting bored with game machines after little or no innovation in this market in recent times. And after years of sizzling growth, the game-console market is projected to be flat in 2003, with a 10 percent decline in 2004, according to a new report from iSuppli Corp. of El Segundo, Calif.

This could have a negative impact on several chip makers that sell into the game-console market, such as ATI, Cirrus Logic, Conexant, Focus, IBM, and Nvidia, according to the report.

Read more: Silicon Strategies.

I haven't played many console games since Super Nintendo came out, nor bought a console since Super Nintendo was out. Once I grew older than 9 it was boring. The games just aren't that great anymore there isn't much room for innovation and new ideas. Computers get those first, because console technolgy is based on computer technology, uses the same graphics chips, and the technology is always far behind because of this.

I've tried many many games on consoles. 99% of them are no fun to me. With the exception of Halo, and a few Resident Evil style games. Those are the only games I've really been able to enjoy on console.

Mario was back when I was playing Nintendo. Mario-kart was fun in my college days when we got high and played. :p I didnt like Sonic that much, and only played Zelda a few times.

Mario1, Mario3, Super Mario World, and Mario64 were all pretty awesome. I haven't played this Sunshine one yet, don't know what to think about it with a name like that.... but its probably at least decent.

I retired from console gaming for years as well, from SNES times until I bought a PS2 about a year ago. There are a few good games that are not released to the PC (I don't play all genres BTW) however in my case there are only two reasons why my PS2 was a great buy:

* Winning Eleven series
* Playing with a group of friends

Although one has got to do with the other (since WE is all I play with my friends now), it's not as comfortable to play in front of my PC than in the bedroom with a bigger TV, standard setup of controllers, etc.

I loved my ColecoVision, and my NES was ok for a while but I soon got tired of it. Then I discovered PC gaming and haven't owned a console since. I'm glad to hear this news, in fact I would not mind another video game crash like in 84. Maybe then the kiddie console market wouldn't be so attractive to publishers and they will start concentrating on making more great PC games, instead of making a mediocre console version and then porting it over to the PC later on if they feel like it.

Originally posted by Skyfrog
I loved my ColecoVision

That was the first system i ever played! I was only a little kid when it first came out. The thing that kinda sucked about colecos were the controllers; they looked like telephones. Still, colecos were so cool during the 80s. :grinthumb

Yeah, the controllers were pretty awkward. Fortunately it is also compatible with Atari 2600 controllers, and I used one of those for most games. Later on I got the expansion module that allows it to play 2600 carts. Talk about being in heaven :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back