Default Monitor Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydnee

Hey,

On monday I began to have really weird problems with my computer. I turned it on normally and it begins to load and all, and suddenly it completely turned off. So I had this problem til about Wednesday. I then ran my antivirus and it said I had 31 infected files. So I deleted them and restarted, and my computer no longer turned off by itself. But now my screen appears with the xp style startbar, etc. but it's huge! (like it is in safe mode) This is really annoying. I tried to go in to CP and change the resolution but it wont slide. So I tried going on the Intel site and downloading the driver update, but when I tried to Install it it said "The Driver is not installed correctly" (or something similar) and stopped.

Then I went into my Device Manager and tried to uninstall the Display adapter (because it had the yellow ! mark next to it and in it's properties it said that the device was not connected) then reinstall it then update and it still didnt work. But when I enter safe mode under the Admin account it says everything is fine.

Please Help ! Thanks

i got that problem a couple of months ago... Go ahead and do a WINDOWS System Restore... it will bring you PC back to the latest point were it boot up FINE... and worked FINE...

try that...

Thanks for replying.

I tried to do System Restore, but It wont let me go back to 2005.

Jaquio said:
i got that problem a couple of months ago... Go ahead and do a WINDOWS System Restore... it will bring you PC back to the latest point were it boot up FINE... and worked FINE...

try that...

Sydnee said:
Hey,

On monday I began to have really weird problems with my computer. I turned it on normally and it begins to load and all, and suddenly it completely turned off. So I had this problem til about Wednesday. I then ran my antivirus and it said I had 31 infected files. So I deleted them and restarted, and my computer no longer turned off by itself. But now my screen appears with the xp style startbar, etc. but it's huge! (like it is in safe mode) This is really annoying. I tried to go in to CP and change the resolution but it wont slide. So I tried going on the Intel site and downloading the driver update, but when I tried to Install it it said "The Driver is not installed correctly" (or something similar) and stopped.

Then I went into my Device Manager and tried to uninstall the Display adapter (because it had the yellow ! mark next to it and in it's properties it said that the device was not connected) then reinstall it then update and it still didnt work. But when I enter safe mode under the Admin account it says everything is fine.

Please Help ! Thanks

When you're on SAFE MODE it "will" always say that everything is fine because in safe mode windows doesnt loads any DRIVER for Components... it just loads windows default drivers for each component on your PC...

mmm... kinda creepy... so... mmm... let me see... i dont know for sure if a Windows REPAIR could be the solution because it kinda think that a REPAIR will be destructive...
but... if you have backuped your data... u can try that...

I tried to update windows, by putting in the WinXP installation CD.
and the process never completed..so I dont know if that had anything to do w/ it either.

Jaquio said:
mmm... kinda creepy... so... mmm... let me see... i dont know for sure if a Windows REPAIR could be the solution because it kinda think that a REPAIR will be destructive...
but... if you have backuped your data... u can try that...

did you did a repair or a new installation? if its a new installation go ahead and format your system... it better having it "new" than "used"....

When installing the new graphics driver, you should go to Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the old graphic driver. In Device Manager you don't really get rid of any drivers. It's removed from the device but it's still in the system.

Also, when you have infected files, just deleting them isn't necessarily the end of it. Some of those files may have to be replaced with clean versions or some things will no longer work, as you found out.

Jaquio said:
did you did a repair or a new installation? if its a new installation go ahead and format your system... it better having it "new" than "used"....

I did a repair.

Thanks for replying.

So basically, I should go in Add/Remove Programs and uninstall
and then go to Add Hardware and install it again?

mailpup said:
When installing the new graphics driver, you should go to Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the old graphic driver. In Device Manager you don't really get rid of any drivers. It's removed from the device but it's still in the system.

Also, when you have infected files, just deleting them isn't necessarily the end of it. Some of those files may have to be replaced with clean versions or some things will no longer work, as you found out.

Yes, except for the installing part. To install a new driver just run the executable file. You can double click it or you can go to Start and run it from the Run dialog box. As an extra precaution you can temporarily disable your antivirus program but be sure you are disconnected from the internet while it is disabled. You also don't want any other Windows programs running at the same time. You know, the same kind of precautions you take when installing any other software. Unless you have the driver file on the Desktop, I prefer to run it from the Start>Run box because then I don't have any open windows.

Also, when you restart your PC after uninstalling the driver, Windows will want to search for a driver. Cancel it and then install your new driver.

Oookay...you lost with executible file.

Okay...so i tried to uninstall it in Add/Remove Programs, and it says that it was successfully uninstalled, but it still shows up on the list.

And....the rest of the steps I dont quite understand.

Sorry. I should have chosen my words more carefully. The new driver file should have an ".exe" extension. When I said executable file, I just meant the new driver file. It should look similar to this: 81.98_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe

When you uninstall the old driver, restart the PC. Upon restart, Windows will want to install a new driver. Cancel it. Install the new driver by double clicking on the new driver file. Installation should begin. Just follow the prompts after that.

That said, if the uninstall of the old driver doesn't work properly (recheck AFTER restarting), you may have to use a driver cleaner program.

Click here for some installation instructions from the Nvidia website.

Try pressing F10 when during booting. Once you get to the OS selection screen select Last Known Good Configuration.

I definately sounds like you graphics card drivers have been lost somehow.
I only you could install the new ones everything should work again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back