Defrag in two different file system

By justamailman
Feb 14, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everyone
    I have two HD 40 and 80. When I defragment , I use diskeeper. One HD is in NTFS system file and the other in FAT32. I make backups on a regular basis between C drive (XPhome in NTFS) and D drive (XP Pro in Fat32). Is it harder for my diskeeper that way or not because of the different file system. Also would it be faster to defrag only when I go on my Pro HD. Right now I am all doing it from C drive. Is it normal to share program like that or should I have program installed on each OS to run better? Lots of questions I know
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

I use Diskeeper as well. All my HDs are formatted in FAT32. I run 2 installations of W2K on the same machine. I installed DK in both W2Ks, and alternate fairly regularly between the 2 OSes. I always defrag the other W2K, never the running W2K itself. It runs nicely in the background and I only know it's running because of the icon in the systray.
    DK could not care less what file-system your HD is, as long as it only does one HD at the time.
    HTH
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.