defrag will not start !

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomrca

done a defrag a couple of weeks ago, worked well. today checking the driives, i got a message saying "Disk fragmenter could not start". i have done a system restore, butit remains the same..
i have run an hjt and its clean, although i will post an hjt to be sure.

thanks for your reply. i have looked through services, but i am unable to find anything referring to disc defragmenter. could the service name be different from what i am looking for?

hi rik. the response is the same. the programme opens, but will not analyse or defrag

Have a look in windows\ system32 and checkout dfrg.msc. As an example im using xp pro sp2 and my dfrg.msc is 41k.

How about seeing if you can extract a new copy of dfrg.msc from your windows cd. I can't test it myself as i have lent my windows cd to a friend that managed to scratch his own one.

If that's not possible then visit microsoft n see what they say.

fixed it!! the page file was switched off, dont ask me how though, that will remains a mystery..

bougs :(

jobeard said:
requires service to be started

see CP->admin->services
oops! totally bogus information, sorry. Speed Disk Service belongs to :( Norton :(

what page file are you talking about??

tomrca said:
fixed it!! the page file was switched off, dont ask me how though, that will remains a mystery..

My computer wont defrag and I'ts reaching Critical Mass.

Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back