Delaware passes law that grants heirs access to social media accounts of the deceased

By Shawn Knight
Aug 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Losing a loved one is never easy but if you've ever been through the experience, you already know that things can be much less complicated if they had a will in place. But the question still remains as to what...

Read more
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

I'm not sure whats so complicated here, shouldn't the deceased social networking accounts automatically be closed after the social networks have been informed of their passing by the executor of the will?
    Surely FB, Twitter etc. have made provision for this...
  3. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,159   +67

Well, copyright passes to the estate, and since online content is covered by copyright, it makes sense that the heirs who own the copyright also get access to the accounts where the copyrighted material exists.
  4. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 317   +41

This is just weird.
  5. Gnome

Gnome TS Rookie

There should really be a self destruct option on social media where Facebook (or whatever network) deactivates/deletes upon notification of death.

I'm not sure if it should be opt-in or opt-out, but it should be an option.
  6. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,498   +673

Actually, in a number of instances there is no will so no executor. In my case a sister of mine disposed of all her worldly goods well in advance of her death, but fortunately left me ID's and PW's of all her accounts across many sites. As an experiment I tried to work with the webmasters to close some of these and ran into a brick wall. With all the scamming going around I can understand their reluctance but must also agree that there certainly should be SOME form of remedy.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your sister. :(