Delay when opening My Documents and Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to this forum so hello all. I'm having a bit of a problem. When I try to open up either Internet Explorer or the My Documents folder, they each take exactly 5 seconds to open up regardless if the the PC has just been booted or if it has been up for several hours. I have not made any recent changes to my set up. This just started happening about 1-2 weeks ago and can't find a solution. Here's a bit of background on my entire setup. I have a server running Windows 2003 Server, all my PC's run on "ABC" domain. My Server runs Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, and Exchange. There is a group policy set up to redirect the My Documents folder to a driver on the server. I have a laptop as well joined to the domain which works perfectly fine. Because of the Group Policy it has it's My Documents folder redirected to the server as well and IE and My Documents open up instantly on it with absolutely no problem. My desktop seems to be the only one with this problem. The specs on it are:

Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor (PE),
Intel D865GBFL MB,
80 GB Maxtor 7200 RPM Hard Drive,
1 GB PC 3200 Kingston ValuRam,
(1) CD Rom Drive,
(1) Pioneer 8X DVD-RW Drive,
Thermaltake Spark 7 CPU Fan/Heatsink,
(4) 80mm case fans
128 MB MSI AGP Video Card
Intergrated Soundmax Audio

I have ran Ad-Aware on it and cleaned out any bits of spyware that were found and have also ran a full virus scan (Norton) with updated defenitions and found nothing. Also, I have ran HiJack this but have found absolutely nothing suspicious. Anyone have any idea what could be the problem. By the way, Internet Explorer use to open up in about 1 second before.
Thanks for any help,
Hector

check network cable

just a thought, your network cable may be faulty. Does a simple file copy of a fairly large file take the same time to both your attached clients?

If file copy does take much longer, your cable must be suspect.

gbhall said:
just a thought, your network cable may be faulty. Does a simple file copy of a fairly large file take the same time to both your attached clients?

If file copy does take much longer, your cable must be suspect.
Thanks for your input gbhall...I tried what you stated but still the same issue. I noticed I was having problems accessing files on that drive as well as I have it mapped as a network drive. It would give me a CRC error. I ran a chkdsk /f on that drive ( Shared drive on the server which holds all my shared files) and it did correct quite a few problems it found. That seems to have resolved the issue. Both My Documents and IE work perfectly now and I can access all my files with no problems. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back