Delete Administrator Account in XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarlethawk

Hi Guys
I am newbie and would like some advice. Currently i am running windows XP pro and by mistake i have disabled the Administrative account. I have tried enabling it in the safe mode and in fact scoop out all options suggested in this post as well https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=65&highlight=enable+administrative+account+XP.
So far all the efforts are unsuccessful, now I have come to a point that the only possible solution is to format the drive and reinstall the windows. Since I have only one account on the computer with limited permission, I am unable to reformat the drive even.
I would really appreciate if someone could help out of this charade.

Thanks

You can try to find the universal boot disk 4 windows it is downloadable off the internet and gives you instructions on how to set it up, now if I am not mistaken it has a utility to create an admin account or change the password

matt1522 said:
You can try to find the universal boot disk 4 windows it is downloadable off the internet and gives you instructions on how to set it up, now if I am not mistaken it has a utility to create an admin account or change the password

I have looked up on the internet but all I could find was confusing information. Is it possible that you can email me the link for recommended download?

almcneil said:
What do you mean you "disabled" the administrator account?

I had one account on the said computer with the administrative privileges but later i setup another account with limited permission. Once the new account was setup i went back and deleted the administrative account. Now i have only one account on the computer and i can't even install a printer on it.

I just checked the Microsoft KB for you and found this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281140 It states that unless you have another administrator account, you cannot reverse this action (disabling the administrator account.)

You're only option is an in-place re-installation at this point.

almcneil said:
I just checked the Microsoft KB for you and found this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281140 It states that unless you have another administrator account, you cannot reverse this action (disabling the administrator account.)

You're only option is an in-place re-installation at this point.

Thanks for the lookup. The dilemma is that I am willing to do a reinstall but I am unable to format the drive as well.

That's what an "in-place" re-installation is. Without reformating the partition, the filesystem is retained. The new installation overlays the current. Your personal files are not touched but all the Windows directories and files are overwritten with a fresh copy. All your programs will not be installed although the program files will still be there. As well, all the user accounts are wiped out and you start from scratch. So there will be a default admin account with no password and you're back in business!!

almcneil said:
Not a problem. Here is the link to the MIcrosoft KB artile for an "in-place" installation link

Ok i have done the "in-place" installation. In the in end it asked me that do i want to activate the product key now or later. So I opted later, because the computer was not connected to the internet at that time. It finished the installation and the same user name popped up again and when i try to log on it gave me a message "This copy of the Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Please ask a computer administrator to activate Windows on this computer." It doesn't give me any other option and when i clicked ok it took me back to the log on screen. What are my options now?
How can go back to the activation screen to register the windows again?

The "in-place "install didn't work for me. Can someone help me how to format the C drive? I don't have the administrative password or access to the administrative account as well.

No, the in-place re-installation did work. That wasn't an error message you got. It was a simple explanation.

Restart the comp and when it asks you to activate Windows, select it. It will then ask if you want to do it over the Internet or by phone. Unless you're on a LAN or have a router, you can't. If so, then select by phone. It will give you a list of numbers to call depending on your region. Just follow the instructions.

almcneil said:
No, the in-place re-installation did work. That wasn't an error message you got. It was a simple explanation.

Restart the comp and when it asks you to activate Windows, select it. It will then ask if you want to do it over the Internet or by phone. Unless you're on a LAN or have a router, you can't. If so, then select by phone. It will give you a list of numbers to call depending on your region. Just follow the instructions.

I did repeat the in-place reinstallation and this time around i selected the option of activation and i was able to log on this time. Having said that, everything remains as is, like just like it was before in-place installation (I mean no change took place). Instead, now i get an error message when i click on the internet icon. Secondly, after the boot up i got a genuine windows icon stating that service pack2 is required.
I think i am ready for a clean install to get rid of all the errors. I have backed up the data as well. So can you please guide me how to format the C drive with the limited account privileges

sorry for the problems
I just don't remember what I did to fix a W2K admin crash
from here
insert disc
let it go through load up
it will then point to the drives where you have choice's
to add ,delete
pick delete the drive
if there is some way you can do this ,if you have not ,backup any data you need to save.
after delete you will be prompted for a format,
after format then set size of partition
with todays software standards I would allocate 20 to 25% of drive for C or root.
if the drive is large enough and you don't foresee a need for the space
after the first install make another partition and install again on that
I know with XP ,it makes a boot.ini file to point to the OS
there will be only 1
but at least know if your machine get a headache to can go to 2nd system
for repairs

size's of partitions for XP any where from 15GB to 30gb
you will never need more than that

been awhile did I miss something??:chef:

Samstoned said:
sorry for the problems
I just don't remember what I did to fix a W2K admin crash
from here
insert disc
let it go through load up
it will then point to the drives where you have choice's
to add ,delete
pick delete the drive
if there is some way you can do this ,if you have not ,backup any data you need to save.
after delete you will be prompted for a format,
after format then set size of partition
with todays software standards I would allocate 20 to 25% of drive for C or root.
if the drive is large enough and you don't foresee a need for the space
after the first install make another partition and install again on that
I know with XP ,it makes a boot.ini file to point to the OS
there will be only 1
but at least know if your machine get a headache to can go to 2nd system
for repairs

size's of partitions for XP any where from 15GB to 30gb
you will never need more than that

been awhile did I miss something??:chef:

Chef you are cooking some thing else. I have a different problem, i am unable to format C drive because of the limited permission account.

So, were you able to get into an administrator account? You should after an in-place re-installation.

why not just re-install xp - if you boot from the cd drive dont you get the option to reformat from your windows cd?

have you got a FDD?

You could use the fdisk utility read here format

scarlethawk said:
No i was not able to access it at all. It still ask me for admin password even when i try to do a clean install.

Unfortunately then, you have not choice. You must reformat and then reinstall again. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back