Delete partitions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

raadeekaa

Hai,
I have my HD with C,D,E,and F drives.. total capacity is 80gb..
now i have to combine another harddrive(purchased it for the purpose..it has the default as D Drive..it';s capacity is 80gb..) . Now, i want to delete the partitions in my old HD and make it with only one drive - C..
kindly let me know the steps to do this successfully.. I have formatted the files in the drives - e and f already.. It has win2k in c drive..
iam an amateur in this ..so,plz kindly let me know the steps to do this..
With thanx in advance,
Radhika.S.

A very nice program to do this is Powerquest Partition magic (thought it was taken over by Symantec), Download demo. When you installed the program you have the power to delete partitions and merge them together into one partition, that way creating one big C partition. Now when you finished merging the partitions into 1 partition you can attach your new hard drive to your computer. It will be automatically detected if your lucky and if not, post here.

Good luck!

I got u..

Hai,
Thanx.. I have followed the link u gave me.. Can u give me the steps(even the basics) to use this.. I have never done partition..iam a bit worried abt it..
U have written that i should load the new harddrive later.. but my friend loaded it already.it's shown as G drive(New Volume) with 80gb capacity.. is that needed that i should remove that harddrive before changing the partition in the old HD?

I have the PartitionMagic 8.0 downloaded,with me..is that ok? If so,it's a winzip file ..am i needed to unzip it to use it?

Iam sorry that iam giving u more questions which may seem simple and ease to u..but i am an amateur in partitioning.. that's the reason for these questions..
thanx again n expecting ur reply..
With warm regards,
Radhika.S.

You can see partitioning as making rooms on your hard drive which are displayed as seperate disks. So right now you got 4 rooms in one house and your planning to build another house next to it. Break all the walls in house 1 (disk 1) and make it one big room. So what you want to do right now is merging partitions (connecting the rooms into one big room). That is the meaning of partitions and of what you want to do right now.

About your questions now:

I cant give you a step by step howto on using Partition Magic, you should use www.google.com to search for howto's, tutorials and FAQ's. on the partition magic subject.
Be a bit adventurous with the program and look before you handle, think also. Use the tooltips and read the help. It should get you along, just look for the word "merge partition".

It is oke to attach your drive before merging your partitions, it doesnt really matter. But its just something i usually do to prevent me from making a mistake with the disks.

Good Luck!

I saw u r a little bit confused 'bout the drive letters.U said the old hdd has c: and bla bla...
So...u must connect both hdds to pc ,propperly detect them via bios(usually no need because by default bios auto detects new drives)....after that run Partition Magic and create partitions as you want.Take care that the c: partition must be set to active and must be large enough for the operating system which you wanna install....
Keep in touch....

Thanx guys..

Hai,
First of all, i should thank u all for ur kind reply..
I have done the partition successfully..
Mindspin, thanx a lot..
Lordx, thanx to u too.. as u said, i was a little confused with them..
Now with u guys' help i have done it.. :)

Thanx again..
Keep in touch..
By the way, My actual name is Radhika.. my friends call me - raa dee kaa.. :haha:
can i know ur name?

Regards,
Radhika.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back