TechSpot

deleted drivers I shouldn't have :(

By rcketgrl
Nov 17, 2006
  1. My work machine is an older (2001) Dell Dimension 4300.
    P4 1.6ghz 512ram, Intel 845 chipset

I got a new monitor, Acer1916Wide and my 16mb ATI Rage 128 Ultra wouldn't support 1440 x 900, so today I bought a Radeon 9550 AGP card.

Being in a rush and not paying attention, :( I tried to install without deleting the old drivers. Then when it wouldn't work I put the old card in and downloaded Driver Cleaner. :knock: Grrr... being stupid again and in a rush to leave work I deleted ATI stuff and I believe a SISVGA? something that I thought was part of the drivers.

From that point on I couldn't get into Windows, it looks like it's loading and then the screen goes black. Can't get into safe mode. It wouldn't go back to last working configuration either.

Have I removed my standard VGA driver? Is there a way to install it through DOS, or with a bootable floppy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. smore9648

smore9648 TS Rookie Posts: 757

Sounds like you deleted VGASAVE. DLL

This is a backup where your video card drivers act up and allow to view with generic video drivers. If you deleted this and more then likely you did all I can say are these too things

Have fun reloading your system &
    |
    |
    |
    |
    \/ (you qualified)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.