deleting admin password from corrupt drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbrat41

Hello. This is my first post and I am in great need of help.
I have 2 hdd 1 primary and 1 slave. The slave has MS XP but is corrupt. This drive also has files I desparately want to recover. I was able to recover all files in shared documents and unprotected files but I cannot access the files in my personal account which is password protected. All ( and various ) attempts to fix the OS have failed.
Is there any hope?
Thank you.
bigbrat41

Welcome to TechSpot

You can take ownership of these files as follows:
Boot XP into Safe Mode (Press F8 a few times when starting up) as an administrator. Now use Explorer to go to the folders etc. on your old-drives, right-click them, select Properties, click the Security tab and click OK if a security message pops up. Click Advanced, then Owner tab. In the Name list select your (administrator's) name. Mark the Replace Owner on subcontainers and objects check box. Click OK, Yes and OK.

For taking ownership of files, rightclick them, Security tab, Advanced, Owner tab. In Name list select Administrator or Admin-group and click OK. Click Add and in the "Enter the object...list" type a user or group account or Administrator. Click OK. In the group or user name list, click the account you want (e.g. Administrator), then tick the check boxes for permissions, e.g. Full Control [Allow].

THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
I'm sorry that I haven't thanked you sooner but i work 12 hr days and the rest of my time seems to go to my 16 yr old son and football ( and the dad-blasted computer). Your solution worked and i'm now trying to get the files burned so that the corrupt drive can be reformatted.
Thanks again.

or if you can, just copy them over to the primary/other hard drive on your computer instead of burning ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back