Deleting duplicate (?) files

Status
Not open for further replies.

hewybo

I have a few programs (notably 3D Pinball, which irks me) that either load slowly, or do not function up to speed. I run AV and anti-spyware regularly, so I don't think those are the root cause.

On running SystemMechanic for duplicate files, I find many that were created before I even owned the computer. I know- some programs/systems were created some time ago, but?

My question is, how do I know which is a duplicate, and which should remain? There are scores of them, but here is an example:
C:\WINDOWS\ SERVICE PACK FILES\i386\wbemcore.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wbemcore(2)(2).dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wbemcore.dll

All were created on the same date, at the exact same time, and are the exact same size. As I said, there are many, many, similar files. Which to keep? Which to toss? How do I know?

Thanks for any and all insight--

The ones with parenthesis are duplicates. Generally you want to keep the files in the service pack folder.

Different versions of the same libraries may cause you issues but that's another matter. Duplicate files do not affect the speed of your computer unless you are chronically low on disk space.

I would recommend some basic optimisations before going and messing with system files. Defragment, disable unneeded system services and background programs that hog your resources. Tune the pagefile, check that your hard drives are running at DMA speeds and haven't been downgraded to PIO. Make sure you have proper video card drivers installed.

Anyone i know who has decided to rid their machine of duplicate system files wound up with a system that would no longer boot. I would tread very carefully here.
They are not likely to be the cause of your slowdowns anyways.
Do all your regular system maintenence tasks first:
Disk Clean Up
Defrag
Run all baddie scans: AV, Spybot etc.

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back