Deleting one of three Win OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like messing around and messed myself into slight bother. WinMe on hard drive C. WinXp Home on Hard drive D (the one I use most). XP booted as default. Tried to install XP Pro on hard disk G which for some reason it didn’t allow me to do but in the meantime the initial part had installed. So! I now have Me, XPHome and as default XpPro which can only boot up..up to a point then logs off. I went into MSconfig and tried to make the XpHome the default but this resulted in a message appearing each time because the ‘general’ section in MS config went into selective mode. I can choose XpHome as an option when it comes up but boring! I know this sounds very involved but what I would really like to do is delete XpPro from the boot. Please help.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.

In Windows Explorer, rightclick on C:\boot.ini and select Properties. UNtick the Read-Only box, click OK.
Double-click boot.ini, it will open with Notepad (or your own ASCII editor).
Looks like:
[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(5)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows ME"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(5)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
Note the bold parts of the 2 lines above.

You need to copy the bold part from the 'XP-home' line over the bold part from the 'default=' line.
Then delete the XP-Pro line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back