Deleting OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

btraxinger

I was working on my operating systems during a restore, and I accidentally installed an extra OS. The microsoft site, is nothing like this site, =) so I figured I would ask here. Does anyone know how to delete an operating system? Thanks

btraxinger said:
I was working on my operating systems during a restore, and I accidentally installed an extra OS.
Which OS??? How can you accidentally install another OS?

Are you referring to your OS appearing twice in the boot menu? If so then you need to edit boot.ini and remove the redundant one. First though you should ensure that you remove the correct one, if in doubt do nothing, post here first.

Use partition magic or system commander... or better yet, save your data, then reboot, reformat, and reinstall The OS, along with everything else. There are tricks and fixes, but you will never have quite the solid system you might expect.

I was installing my windows xp and I had a power surge, causing the operating system to reinstall the next time I turned on my computer. Also, if I edit the boot.ini, will that completely delete the operating system, or just take it off the boot menu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back