Deleting Shortcut with no Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

dutch

How can I delete a shortcut, located on Desktop, to a website in IE?
The link no longer has Properties associated with it, nor can I drag it to Trash.
Tried: deleting in Safe Mode, ran chk dsk, etc, etc. Nothing worked.
When clicking Properties message telling me: "The proprties for this item are not available".
Any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem?

OS is Windows 2000.

Thanks

Hi

It may be linked to the current logon, create a new admin user and use that account to access the desktop where the link is and see if you can delete it that way.

Otherwise slave the drive to another PC and get rid of it that way.

Persistance is great, in the right circumstances.

Regards

Ididmyc600 said:
Hi

It may be linked to the current logon, create a new admin user and use that account to access the desktop where the link is and see if you can delete it that way.

Otherwise slave the drive to another PC and get rid of it that way.

Persistance is great, in the right circumstances.

Regards
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the procedure you outlined is totally over my head.
Was wondering if this shortcut without properties, has a target somewhere in the system that could be accessed. The window that comes up when right clicking does not have a line for a "target".

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the procedure you outlined is totally over my head.
Really not that hard, but might not work.

When clicking Properties message telling me: "The proprties for this item are not available".
The window that comes up when right clicking does not have a line for a "target".
What window? Do you mean the right-click menu?
I'm just trying to get things clarified here

What I know on "undeleteable shortcuts":
It is possible to create undeleteable "shortcuts" in the registry, but these aren't real shortcuts and cannot be deleted from the filesystem. The "Recycle bin" is an example of that, although you can delete it on some systems, if not the delete option can be enabled through the registry.

If this is your case, then you would have to locate it in the registry by searching for it's name, but from the info you have given me, I really can't say. Could you provide a screenshot and the name of the "shortcut" and also tell us what happens when you click on it?

Look creating a user is as simple as going to the control panel,, hang on step by step

Start > Settings > Control Panel > users and passwords> then just add a user and make sure it is set as an administrator,

Now log off and log back on as the new user, once you have a desktop bring up Explorer and navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Desktop, where xxxx is the name you normally log on with.

Once there see if you can delete the shortcut...

The other method requires another PC running XP or 2K, you add your Hard drive to that machine, this will enable you to access the files on your drive without it being a booted device.

If any of these methods are to much for you, then leave the shortcut as it is, because you risk (in your ignorance, and no offense meant there) messing up your PC should you meddle any further, you could always find a PC savvy friend and let them do it.

Regards

Last edited by Jesse_hz : Today at 12:22 AM.
Today, 12:30 AM

Most likely you were typing your post while I was still editing mine.
You were seeing an old version of my post when you wrote yours.
I often click the PQR button and then immediately realize that I forgot something.

In any case no harm done. :)

Ididmyc600 said:
Look creating a user is as simple as going to the control panel,, hang on step by step

Start > Settings > Control Panel > users and passwords> then just add a user and make sure it is set as an administrator,

Now log off and log back on as the new user, once you have a desktop bring up Explorer and navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Desktop, where xxxx is the name you normally log on with.

Once there see if you can delete the shortcut...

The other method requires another PC running XP or 2K, you add your Hard drive to that machine, this will enable you to access the files on your drive without it being a booted device.

If any of these methods are to much for you, then leave the shortcut as it is, because you risk (in your ignorance, and no offense meant there) messing up your PC should you meddle any further, you could always find a PC savvy friend and let them do it.

Regards
Thanks for your response and words of wisdom.
I did speak with a friend in the computer busines who said he has a "tool" to deal with the problem.
As you suggested.....I'll stop trying to fix myself and risk making it worse.

Merry Xmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back